News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Person of the Year? Who Should It Be

Started by jimmy olsen, December 03, 2012, 12:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2012, 01:23:37 PM
Pretty lame.  Time might as well make the Presidential election winner the Person of the Year every four years.

Time is boxed into a corner. They practically can't chose someone with a great impact on the world that is considered by Americans to be a bad guy (such as when they picked Hitler), because that would be too controversial. They probably don't want to pick someone that most Americans haven't heard of, so that handicaps a lot of foreigners. They probably don't want to pick someone from a special interest or advocacy group, for fear of appearing to partisan.

You run the candidates through those filters, and you get a very short list, and the president is always on there.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Doesn't seem like anyone on Tim's list would be a more obvious choice.
Maybe the Burmese odd couple, but that is a bit exotic for an American middlebrow audience.
Same problem with Draghi, plus it's a little odd to name the world's second most important central banker as Top Guy for the year.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on December 19, 2012, 08:52:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2012, 01:23:37 PM
Pretty lame.  Time might as well make the Presidential election winner the Person of the Year every four years.

Time is boxed into a corner. They practically can't chose someone with a great impact on the world that is considered by Americans to be a bad guy (such as when they picked Hitler), because that would be too controversial. They probably don't want to pick someone that most Americans haven't heard of, so that handicaps a lot of foreigners. They probably don't want to pick someone from a special interest or advocacy group, for fear of appearing to partisan.

You run the candidates through those filters, and you get a very short list, and the president is always on there.

I believe one of their worst selling issues was the Man of the Year 1979.  People took it as an endorsement of Ayatollah Khomeini.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Only other individual candidate I can think of is Draghi. Which would be an esoteric choice.

And far better this than 'you' or 'the protester'.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 19, 2012, 10:44:48 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2012, 09:39:30 PM
How about Teh Syrian People?

They won in 2011.

B.C.

Back then the literary readers were predominately middle eastern, aka a unibrow audience.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on December 19, 2012, 10:10:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2012, 09:39:30 PM
How about Teh Syrian People?

They were on The Atlantic's list.

That'll only last until they kill our ambassador and somebody finds a black woman to blame for it.

Admiral Yi

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 25, 2012, 06:37:09 PM
They went with Barry.
I Googled it for more information, and it turns out that he beat Mitt Romney.  :huh:  Did anyone else hear about this? :o