News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Person of the Year? Who Should It Be

Started by jimmy olsen, December 03, 2012, 12:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Here are the candidates time is looking at.

People I thought should be actually considered I bolded. Feel free to throw in your own candidates.
http://www.time.com/time/person-of-the-year/2012/

QuoteKim Jong Un
Mohamed Morsi

Malala Yousafzai
Psy
The Mars Rover
Stephen Colbert
Bashar Assad
Undocumented Immigrants
Barack Obama
The Higgs Boson Particle
Felix Baumgartner
Jon Stewart
Pussy Riot
Hillary Clinton
Aung San Suu Kyi and Thein Sein

Bill Clinton
Michael Phelps
Gabby Douglas
Sandra Fluke
Ai Weiwei
Joe Biden
Chris Christie
John Roberts
Mitt Romney
Marissa Mayer
Mo Farah
Benjamin Netanyahu
Michael Bloomberg
Paul Ryan
Jay-Z
Tim Cook
Mario Draghi
Xi Jinping
Bo Xilai

Sheldon Adelson
E.L. James
Karl Rove
Roger Goodell
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on December 03, 2012, 01:35:30 AM
You.
Thanks, but I already was Person of the Year once.  Let's give someone else a chance.

DGuller

I think Putin should be up there.  This is the year when he finally dispensed with the pretense of democracy with a strong leader, and made a play to be a full out autocrat.

Valmy

I guess Xi Jinping, though with how the CPC transfer of power goes that was hardly a shocking turn of events.  Oh for the days when things would be going along boringly then Mao would do something crazy out of the blue and fuck the place up for a few years.  Sure there were millions of dead but it sure made it more entertainig.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I guess Asaad seems the logical one considering Syria has been ever-present in the news.

As has Elizabeth II, should be her.  :bowler:
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2012, 02:04:43 AM
I guess Xi Jinping

It would really help those Chinese dude's chances if they didn't look like they came off an assembly line.  I haven't been able to tell one Chinese bigwig from another since Deng Xiaping.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2012, 04:03:07 AM
I guess Xi Jinping

It would really help those Chinese dude's chances if they didn't look like they came off an assembly line.  I haven't been able to tell one Chinese bigwig from another since Deng Xiaping.
That's raciss!

dps

Quote from: DGuller on December 03, 2012, 04:08:43 AM
I guess Xi Jinping

That's raciss!

Nah, it's agist.  Once you're about 800 years old, you look pretty much like any other 800 year-old, regardless of race.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

I guess Xi Jinping

Yes. They are simply not memorable.