News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Apple TV or ROKU

Started by Darth Wagtaros, December 01, 2012, 09:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I don't wanna go through the hassle of hooking up a PC to the upstairs tv.  I use Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Pandora, and Amazon Plus for streaming music/video.  Should I get an Apple TV, Roku, or just hook up the PC?  The TV doesn't have an HDMI connector.
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Lack of HDMI makes this rather pointless doesn't it.
PDH!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

I'm a big fan of Roku.  I bought my parents the original model back when they first came out, and picked up their current low-end model for $40 on Amazon's Black Friday sale.  Easy to hook up & use and it has analog out (though that would give you only standard def) in addition to HDMI. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I got a Sony Internet box. The snp older model. Works fine enough with netfux and crackle. Plus it had the older connectors, just in case.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Getting a little off-topic here since it is a strictly HDMI-only device, but I'm still very happy with my Logitech Revue Google TV box.  Bought it last year when they knocked the price down to $99 and it completely supplanted my home theater PC.  It connects between my Tivo Premiere and TV so I never have to change video sources for anything and I can fully control it with my phone (or the generous-sized keyboard remote).  Works great for Netflix and I'm able to do some mirroring from my phone sort of like AirPlay for Apple TV.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall