And we're back!

Main Menu

Alaska-Yukon-BC vacation

Started by Maladict, December 01, 2012, 12:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on December 02, 2012, 12:28:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 02, 2012, 09:50:37 AM
I don't know - if BB is advising someone against visiting the Yukon (at least insofar as what Maladict has planned) that says something.

True enough.

Still I wonder how much experience BB has using the public transportation and no-car-required-tourism infrastructure in the Yukon? I mean, I assume cruise ship passengers don't bring cars with them and there's stuff for them to do and see where ever they come ashore.

:huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Quote from: katmai on December 02, 2012, 08:09:10 PM
I don't know - if BB is advising someone against visiting the Yukon (at least insofar as what Maladict has planned) that says something.

True enough.

Still I wonder how much experience BB has using the public transportation and no-car-required-tourism infrastructure in the Yukon? I mean, I assume cruise ship passengers don't bring cars with them and there's stuff for them to do and see where ever they come ashore.

:huh:

Sometimes Geography is hard, man!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Quote from: Syt on December 02, 2012, 12:07:15 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2012, 04:37:06 PM
I think most Yuro countries require a driving course that costs a trillion yuros before you get a license.

2000 EUR in Austria is what you look at. I don't have a license. For most friends the parents financed the license when they turned 18, but my parents were poor, and we didn't have a car, anyways (rather unusual in Germany). Later, when I had the money, I didn't see the need, and the cost for having a car in Vienna easily outweigh the use I'd get out of it - I'd only need it for vacations or when I take a trip to the country side.

If I ever moved back into a rural area I'd go for a license and car, I guess.

Geez, that's what, about $4200-4300?  A NC drivers license is $4/yr.  Literally less than 1/1000 as much.

Admiral Yi

That's for the driver's ed, not the license itself. 

What does a private driver's course cost in the US, like 150 clams?

Syt

Quote from: dps on December 03, 2012, 12:34:07 AM
Geez, that's what, about $4200-4300?  A NC drivers license is $4/yr.  Literally less than 1/1000 as much.

Ca. $ 2,600.- But that's just getting the license (driving lessons, tests etc.). The annual fees would be taxes (deending on car), (mandatory) insurance, fuel etc.

According to autokosten.de, the monthly costs for a Golf IV 2.0 (about 10 years old) are € 69 insurance/month - and € 25 tax/month in Germany. That's €1128.- ($ 1460) per year. Plus maintenance/fuel it'll be €311.- on average per month for that car.

A newer Beemer 525i sends insurance up to €120/month, but tax down to €14. A new Merc S350 is €150 in insurance, €17 in taxes.

Depends on what insurance you sign up with, too, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

True enough.

There appears to be a misconception here.

I'm not advising Mal against coming to Yukon/Alaska.  Goodness me I'd never do that - it's the most beautiful place on earth. :wub:

It's that I was actively recommending he did take an Alaskan cruise / bus tour, rather than rely on Greyhound and the like.

Taking a cruise / bus tours will mean travelling with a slightly older crowd (40s-60s I think), but will be in comfort and guarantee an excellent night's sleep every night.

I still struggle with going to the Yukon and not camping, but if you're going to do it, a tour is the way to go IMHO.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2012, 01:14:00 AM
Quote from: dps on December 03, 2012, 12:34:07 AM

Ca. $ 2,600.- But that's just getting the license (driving lessons, tests etc.). The annual fees would be taxes (deending on car), (mandatory) insurance, fuel etc.

According to autokosten.de, the monthly costs for a Golf IV 2.0 (about 10 years old) are € 69 insurance/month - and € 25 tax/month in Germany. That's €1128.- ($ 1460) per year. Plus maintenance/fuel it'll be €311.- on average per month for that car.

A newer Beemer 525i sends insurance up to €120/month, but tax down to €14. A new Merc S350 is €150 in insurance, €17 in taxes.

Depends on what insurance you sign up with, too, though.

The thing is, here you can just go to the DMV and take the test.  If you pass, you can get your license--you never have to have taken formal lessons.  Though if you whether or not you have taken a driver's ed course will affect your insurance rates.   And obviously, there are other costs associated with owning a car--fuel, property tax, etc.  But you can get a driver's license without actually owning a car, and since in NC a state-issued non-driver's ID costs the same as a driver's license--and you really need to have one or the other--you might as well go ahead and get the driver's license.

Syt

Quote from: dps on December 03, 2012, 07:19:56 AM
The thing is, here you can just go to the DMV and take the test.  If you pass, you can get your license--you never have to have taken formal lessons.

Yeah, Germany/Austria require you a certain amount of theoretical lessons, plus a minimum of practical lessons (e.g. driving the autobahn or in city traffic), plus more if the driving school can talk you into it or deems it necessary.

I have yet to meet a poor driving school owner.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Richard Hakluyt

Do we have any data about how difficult the driving tests are in different countries?

Syt

Considering the amount and kinds of people I've met who have a driver's license, I'd say not too hard.

The one thing I find strange is that you take the exam once and that's it. Considering that during the span of time that people have their license (decades) the street laws can change rather significantly, I think a regular exam would be a good idea (every 5/10 years).
—Stephen Jay Gould

dps

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2012, 07:59:01 AM
Considering the amount and kinds of people I've met who have a driver's license, I'd say not too hard.

The one thing I find strange is that you take the exam once and that's it. Considering that during the span of time that people have their license (decades) the street laws can change rather significantly, I think a regular exam would be a good idea (every 5/10 years).

Some states now require re-testing for senior citizens.  Though in some of those, it's just limited to testing their eyesight.

Syt

That, too, seems like a good idea.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2012, 07:59:01 AM

They don't change that much. What they check is physical ability, like declining eyesight and reflexes.

alfred russel

We don't have separate driver's licenses for automatic and manual cars--but our licenses work over there. Which I took advantage of to effectively teach myself how to drive manual on a weekend trip between Warsaw and Gdansk a few years ago.

I may have posted this before, but I stalled probably in excess of 100 times. The amusing part was getting out of the Hertz parking lot. I stalled several times before pulling up to the wrong exit lane that required me to put the car in reverse. I didn't know how to put the car in reverse and couldn't figure it out. I was worried about using the call box to ask for help (they might take my car away if they figured out I didn't really know how to drive it), but the guy on the box didn't speak english anyway. Eventually I got a very confused construction worker from a site across the street to come over and put the car in reverse for me.

Now I can drive manual transmission. Driver's ed not required.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.