North Korean archaeologists discover unicorn lair

Started by Sheilbh, November 30, 2012, 10:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

QuoteUnicorn lair 'discovered' in North Korea
Korean news agency say they have 'recently reconfirmed' the lair of one of the unicorns ridden by the ancient King Tongmyong
Ben Quinn
guardian.co.uk, Friday 30 November 2012 22.02 GMT

The unicorn was said to have been ridden by the ancient Korean King Tongmyong, founder of a kingdom which ruled parts of China and the Korean peninsula. Alamy

Normally, North Korea's official state news agency is the place to go for reports ranging from the reclusive totalitarian state's unparalleled scientific achievements to the limitless love which its inhabitants reserve for their successive leaders.

Yet in what appears to be a genuine world exclusive, the inimitable Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) has now broken the incredible news that archaeologists in Pyongyang have discovered a unicorn's lair.

Or rather, the report says that they have "recently reconfirmed" the lair of one of the unicorns ridden by the ancient Korean King Tongmyong, founder of a kingdom which ruled parts of China and the Korean peninsula from the the 3rd century BC to 7th century AD.

The KCNA goes on to state that the location happens to be 200 metres from a temple in the North Korean capital, adding: "A rectangular rock carved with words "Unicorn Lair" stands in front of the lair."

"The carved words are believed to date back to the period of Koryo Kingdom (918-1392)," says the report.

Archaeologists from the Academy of Social Sciences at North Korea's History Institute were credited with making the discovery.

The news story comes days after eyebrows were raised by another news story relating to the state officially known as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).

On that occasion, it was the online version of China's Communist party newspaper which hailed a report by The Onion naming North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un as the sexiest man alive – not realising it was satire.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

And the West doesn't realize that this is satire.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

If only the party had managed to capture a live unicorn. It's ground up horn would have granted the Dear Leader immortality!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 01, 2012, 07:23:44 AM
If only the party had managed to capture a live unicorn. It's ground up horn would have granted the Dear Leader immortality!

Or alternatively, turned him into a Deer Leader.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Solmyr

Maybe this is their revenge for all the misunderstandings via The Onion.

alfred russel

In other news, Kim Jong Un is dominating the Time Person of the Year voting. In a field of 40 he has about 2 million votes, while his nearest competition has 350k.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2128881_2129111,00.html
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2012, 11:43:02 AM
In other news, Kim Jong Un is dominating the Time Person of the Year voting. In a field of 40 he has about 2 million votes, while his nearest competition has 350k.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2128881_2129111,00.html

A lot of people probably think he is the Gangnam-style guy.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 01, 2012, 05:26:26 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2012, 11:43:02 AM

A lot of people probably think he is the Gangnam-style guy.

I don't know. If you click on his page to vote, it is clearly not him. :D

Whereas the Gangam guy is 4th with 80k.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.