And we're back!

Main Menu

Navy Seal vs Delta Force

Started by viper37, November 29, 2012, 10:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Who would win?  :P

No seriously:
These two units seems to have evolved to something similar.  Technically, SEALs are amphibious commandos.  In practice, Delta Force can be amphibious too, launching or being recovered by a ship.  Both Special Forces team can be deployed by helicopters or as paratroopers.

So, when special forces are needed, how does military command decides wich team should be sent?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Delta Force has Chuck Norris while Navy Seals have Charlie Sheen and Michael Biehn. Enough said.

Viking

Navy Seals Rating 5.2 on IMDB

Delta Force Rating 5.3 on IMDB

Personally I liked Navy Seals better, but Chuck Norris wins again, even if it is a squeaker.

Edit: Spending those extra minutes getting the graphics just meant that the eggplants scoop you...
Edit2: WTF, forgetting Lee Marvin?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

It would depend on the individual unit.  As organizations both are about as good as you can get.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

It all depends on the contest.

I mean both would do poorly against that asian chick in a professional eating event.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2012, 11:26:18 AM
It would depend on the individual unit.  As organizations both are about as good as you can get.
so each unit has its specialty, and depending on the task, it could be Navy SEAL Team 6 or an equivalent Delta Force Team?  Or are they all different?

And what about recruitement?  I'm guessing you don't just apply to be a Delta Force at an Army boot camp, but how does it work once you finish you basic training as an officer?  You enlist in a regular unit, and then after a few years get a chance to move to a Special Forces team?  Or are you selected right after basic training, sort of like professional sports where they have recruiters looking at younger talent in development and inviting them to a training session?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on November 29, 2012, 11:42:51 AM
so each unit has its specialty, and depending on the task, it could be Navy SEAL Team 6 or an equivalent Delta Force Team?  Or are they all different?

Not sure if they actually specialize their units, but I'm just saying that some Delta Force or Seal teams are going to be better than others just based upon the experience and skills their members have.

QuoteAnd what about recruitement?  I'm guessing you don't just apply to be a Delta Force at an Army boot camp, but how does it work once you finish you basic training as an officer?  You enlist in a regular unit, and then after a few years get a chance to move to a Special Forces team?  Or are you selected right after basic training, sort of like professional sports where they have recruiters looking at younger talent in development and inviting them to a training session?

You go into basic training and then go do your infantry AIT (or whatever the advanced training course is called these days).  Then you go to airborne school.  Then you apply to get into Ranger school and or Special Forces school.  Make it through either of those and then they may consider you. 

It's a long road and an extremely tough one.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2012, 12:18:01 PM
It's a long road and an extremely tough one.
Given the name "special forces" one would imagine so :)

Admiral Yi

I think the comparison should be between SEAL Team 6, which is dedicated to counter-terrorism (snatch and grabs and, I assume, wet jobs) and Delta.

You guys ever watch SEAL training camp on Military Channel.  Brutal.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on November 29, 2012, 11:42:51 AM
And what about recruitement?  I'm guessing you don't just apply to be a Delta Force at an Army boot camp, but how does it work once you finish you basic training as an officer?  You enlist in a regular unit, and then after a few years get a chance to move to a Special Forces team?  Or are you selected right after basic training, sort of like professional sports where they have recruiters looking at younger talent in development and inviting them to a training session?

From what I understand, one doesn't apply to Delta, they decide whether or not to approach and recruit a candidate.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2012, 01:55:37 PM
we don't have this channel over here.  I don't think it would be that popular anyway, not many Canadians interested in military affairs.  Even if there was a "Dreadnought Channel", Neil would be the only subscriber :P

Alcibiades

There are different seal teams, with not all of them being equal.  Seal team 6 is the direct action blow em up one you always associate with when you hear the term Seals. 

Depending on what the mission is will change which is 'better'.  Seals are supposed to be the best at amphibious and recon missions.  Delta is supposed to be more direct action, anti-terrorism operations.  From what I hear they also guard high value personnel and high risk embassies. 

Recruiting from what I hear used to be they approached you, but now you can put in a packet for it.  Rigorous multi-week land nav course out in west virgina just to get selected.  But keep in mind, they take very seriously their quiet professionals ethos whereas seals love the publicity, which is why you never hear anything about Delta, really.   They got both Saddam and Zarqawi in Iraq.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 29, 2012, 03:00:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2012, 01:55:37 PM
we don't have this channel over here.  I don't think it would be that popular anyway, not many Canadians interested in military affairs.  Even if there was a "Dreadnought Channel", Neil would be the only subscriber :P

It's on Bell Fibe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Something I always wondered about.  If they poach the best soldiers in the army, doesn't that degrade the capabilities of the rest of the army?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017