News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Insanity Defense and the Constitution

Started by jimmy olsen, November 28, 2012, 11:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the insanity defense be protected by the U.S. Constitution?

Yes
2 (50%)
No
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

jimmy olsen

What say you Languish? Should the insanity defense be protected by the constitution?

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/the-insanity-defense-and-the-constitution/
QuoteThe Insanity Defense and the Constitution
By LINCOLN CAPLAN
constitutionally 
The United States Supreme Court was wrong when it decided on Monday not to accept an Idaho case that raises the question of whether a criminal defendant has a constitutional right to plead insanity as a defense. Idaho is one of four states that does not permit this rarely used but necessary defense. The Idaho Supreme Court ruled that the lack of an insanity defense under state law does not violate due process under the federal constitution.

The Supreme Court has long said generally that due process prohibits a court from holding anyone criminally responsible when doing so would offend a "principle of justice so rooted in the traditions and conscience of our people as to be ranked as fundamental." By disallowing the insanity defense, Idaho violates a fundamental principle of justice in seeking to punish someone who, because of mental illness, should not be held responsible for his crime.

In the Idaho case, John Delling was convicted of shooting and killing two of his friends because he believed they were taking "his energy" and, according to a psychologist, believed "he had to kill those that were killing him." Mr. Delling suffers from severe paranoid schizophrenia. He was, the psychologist said, "grossly psychotic" when he shot the men.

As Justice Stephen Breyer wrote in dissent from the Supreme Court's decision not to take the case, Idaho permits "the conviction of an individual who knew what he was doing, but had no capacity to understand that it was wrong." Mr. Delling was convicted of second-degree murder and received life without parole, the harshest available sentence.

This punishment serves no purpose for criminal justice. Mr. Delling's severe mental disorder blocks his understanding that the sentence was proper retribution for his crime and it doesn't deter others in his situation. Nor does it enhance public safety since states can civilly commit anyone who is found not guilty of a crime by reason of insanity for an indefinite period, until they are no longer dangerous.

Forty-six states and the District of Columbia allow the insanity defense. The Nevada Supreme Court held that abolishing the defense violates the Constitution and the California Supreme Court, likewise, has also ruled that "the insanity defense, in some formulation, is required by due process."

Because constitutional principles are at stake, the justices should have taken this case to resolve the conflict between the states. They should have ruled that Idaho violated the Constitution by depriving a psychotic individual the right to raise an insanity defense, when that person had no capacity to appreciate that his conduct was wrong.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 28, 2012, 11:24:38 PM
This punishment serves no purpose for criminal justice. Mr. Delling's severe mental disorder blocks his understanding that the sentence was proper retribution for his crime and it doesn't deter others in his situation. Nor does it enhance public safety since states can civilly commit anyone who is found not guilty of a crime by reason of insanity for an indefinite period, until they are no longer dangerous.

He forgot one: satisfaction for the family and friends of the victims.

I think it's a little weird not to have an insanity defense but don't think it's worthy of Constitutional protection.

MadImmortalMan

I don't see what the recourse would be for the seriously ill without it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2012, 12:22:27 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 28, 2012, 11:24:38 PM

He forgot one: satisfaction for the family and friends of the victims.

I think it's a little weird not to have an insanity defense but don't think it's worthy of Constitutional protection.

Vengeance isn't typically a valid sentencing objective though. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

I'm as law and order as they come.  And the insanity defence has been abused on some occasions.

But your true paranoid schizophrenic truly has no concept that what they are doing is wrong.  I can't imagine the justice system that wants to punish a person merely because they are severely sick.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2012, 12:45:56 AM

It is one of the purposes of criminal justice.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2012, 01:04:47 AM

Maybe if you're Hammurabi. :mellow:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2012, 01:04:47 AM

It's not listed in s. 718 of the Criminal Code of Canada. :mellow:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2012, 01:33:32 AM
It's not listed in s. 718 of the Criminal Code of Canada. :mellow:

A fact not likely to sway the US Supreme Court's interpretation of the US Constituion's due process guarantees.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Also
There is a incapicitation rationale if the the determination of no future harm involves some material number of false negatives
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Not everything belongs in the constitution.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on November 29, 2012, 02:49:06 AM
Not everything belongs in the constitution.

Tim's question as a little odd as really it's an opinion of whether or not one thinks that the constitution protects it.  Seems unlikely we'd have an amendment to add that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."