No Person Got Shot, Stabbed, Slashed, or Murdered in NYC Monday

Started by garbon, November 28, 2012, 11:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2012, 10:29:37 PM
Why the fuck do we care about Europe? :huh:

It's a place with rich history and culture, which we are deeply intertwined with by virtue of robust economic, diplomatic, military, and ancestral ties.  Many of their women are very attractive, some of them frighteningly so.  They possess a great deal of high quality art, and some of their cities are aesthetic marvels.  Some of their cuisine ranks among the best in the world, if not the absolute best.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on November 28, 2012, 10:43:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2012, 10:40:17 PM
But no one was making comparisons till you came in blathering about Europe. Like it so much, go back! :angry:
Pardon me for targeting what is known to be humanly possible, and not just against own past experience.

Well we have to start somewhere.  REducing NYC murder rate to historic lows is a good start.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2012, 10:44:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2012, 10:29:37 PM
Why the fuck do we care about Europe? :huh:

It's a place with rich history and culture, which we are deeply intertwined with by virtue of robust economic, diplomatic, military, and ancestral ties.  Many of their women are very attractive, some of them frighteningly so.  They possess a great deal of high quality art, and some of their cities are aesthetic marvels.  Some of their cuisine ranks among the best in the world, if not the absolute best.

Sorry but that answer has nothing to do with the spirit of my question.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2012, 12:21:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2012, 11:35:12 AM
The New York crime rate is really a marvel.  If it really ends up around 400 it will be lowest number of annual murders in NYC since pre-prohibition days.  When you compare the populations that is astounding.  Whatever they are doing I hope every city can.

The trouble is that we don't know why the crime rates are falling. In the UK homicides peaked 10 years ago and then started falling, there were only 550 last year.......in a population of 63m. Most of the other crimes are falling too, even though we are also in the 4th year of economic gloom and despondency, most of the "experts" predicted it would go up with economic hard times  :hmm:

TAccording to Freakonomics we can thank the legalisation of abortion.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2012, 09:37:53 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2012, 12:21:48 PMThe trouble is that we don't know why the crime rates are falling. In the UK homicides peaked 10 years ago and then started falling, there were only 550 last year.......in a population of 63m. Most of the other crimes are falling too, even though we are also in the 4th year of economic gloom and despondency, most of the "experts" predicted it would go up with economic hard times  :hmm:
I wonder how much of it's to do with ageing?

QuoteIt may be astounding for a US city, but it's still way, way too high by European standards.  Germany, all of it, has about 200 murders per year.
Indeed.  Boris always likes that line when plugging London (recently in India) over New York as a city to do business in - we've more bookshops and less murder :lol:

Ageing is almost certainly a favourable factor, but the UK population has been ageing ever since the baby boom (largest cohort in the UK was 1963 IIRC, they were 18 in 1981). If ageing was the dominant factor we would have expected a reduction in crime in the 1990s, instead it greatly increased.