Question about standards of media management

Started by Martinus, November 28, 2012, 10:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Ah. I wasn't fired though. I gloriously quit and stole everything company owned in my desk.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2012, 08:32:33 PM

Isn't editorial independence a thing in the US/Canada as well?

Yes, but this has nothing to do with editorial independence. 

Jacob

Yeah, given the particulars I don't see any issues with firing the journalist and the editor who tried to protect him.

Scipio

It would depend on the corporate charter/by-laws and contracts.  But is it a shitty news org?  Sure.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

dps

Quote from: Scipio on November 29, 2012, 03:42:22 PM
It would depend on the corporate charter/by-laws and contracts.  But is it a shitty news org?  Sure.

Well, if the editor had a contract that gave him complete control and discretion about the content and management of the magazine, his firing might be actionable under contract law, but that has nothing to do with standards of editorial independence--it would just be about his individual contract.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on November 29, 2012, 05:03:26 PM
Quote from: Scipio on November 29, 2012, 03:42:22 PM

Well, if the editor had a contract that gave him complete control and discretion about the content and management of the magazine, his firing might be actionable under contract law, but that has nothing to do with standards of editorial independence--it would just be about his individual contract.

Correct