News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The German Youth Slang 2012: Yolo & Komasutra

Started by Syt, November 27, 2012, 12:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

In Germany you have stuff like "Word of the Year", "Anti-Word of the Year" and since a few years "Youth Word of the Year".

The ranking this year:

1. YOLO! (You Only Live Once!)
2. FU! (Fuck you!)
3. Yalla! (From Arabic for "hurry up!")
4. to wulff (in reference to the ex-president's media affair: jabbering/ranting onto someone's voicemail)
5. Komasutra (the futile attempt of very drunk people to have sex with each other)

Previous winners:
2011: swag
2010: Niveaulimbo (Limbo dance of standards, referring to the lowering of the intellectual standards of upper classes)
2009: to hartz (reference to the Hartz IV unemployment benefits: to be unemployed and hang around doing nothing)
2008: Gammelfleischparty (reference to the Gammelfleisch scandal, where expired meat made it to kebab stands etc.: parties for people 30+)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2012, 01:55:27 AM
Quote from: Liep on November 27, 2012, 01:34:22 AM
How do Germans pronounce YOLO?
:huh:
As in, do you say it word by word or as YOLO? Some people here started saying lol, and it sounds horrible.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Liep on November 27, 2012, 03:07:40 AM
As in, do you say it word by word or as YOLO? Some people here started saying lol, and it sounds horrible.

Lol has been said by youths here for years. But yeah, I presume it's ponounced as one word.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2012, 12:51:04 AM
In Germany you have stuff like "Word of the Year", "Anti-Word of the Year" and since a few years "Youth Word of the Year".

3. Yalla! (From Arabic for "hurry up!")

Religious Arabic actually, a bit like Vaya con Dios. It's funny to see what German wiggers picked up from the Turks  :lol:

2008: Gammelfleischparty (reference to the Gammelfleisch scandal, where expired meat made it to kebab stands etc.: parties for people 30+)

That's my favourite one  :D

merithyn

YOLO was my 13-year-old girl's favorite word for about two moonths. It's now passe to her. FU has been around forever, as in since I was a kid. :P

Komasutra is awesome! It's too bad that I'm too old to use terminology like that anymore. :weep:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Kleves

This reminds me of a story about a Darwin award candidate:
QuoteErwin McKiness, an aspiring Southern California rapper also known as Jew'elz and Inkyy, died in a  suspected drunk-driving crash after reportedly tweeting the phrase "YOLO" - "You Only Live Once" - a phrase popularized by rapper Drake's song "The Motto."

"Drunk af going 120 difting corners #F**kItYOLO," tweeted the 21-year-old McKiness just before he and his friends died in a car accident on Sept. 2 in Ontario, Calif., reports the San Bernardino Sun.

McKinness was accompanied in the car by Marquell Bogan, 23, and Dylan George, 20, Jonathan Watson, 21, and JaJuan Bennett, 23. Bogan died at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Fontana, Calif. The others were pronounced dead at the scene.

While McKiness' tweet makes it sound as if he was behind the wheel, police said it was Watson who was driving, reports the paper.

According to police, the driver lost control of the 2005 Nissan Sentra after running a red light and slammed into a wall.

The police are still investigating the incident, but officers told the paper that there was a high likelihood alcohol was involved, based on the statements made before the crash.

The police were referring to the final tweet by @ink2flashyy, sent out at 1:20 a.m.

It read "Driving tweeting sipping the cup (expletive) yolo I'm turning it up."
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.