Main Menu

The war on men

Started by garbon, November 26, 2012, 12:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2012, 02:26:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 26, 2012, 02:17:49 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2012, 02:04:54 PM
Fuck all that noise.  Never surrender your independence to anybody.  Ever.

I'd go one further. Declare your independence. Fly your own flag.

I already have.  My Fortress of Solitude is invincible.  The combined legions of Titus Pussicus can't break this motherfucker.
If you talk like that in real life i don't think you have to worry too much about it :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on November 26, 2012, 02:33:35 PM
If you talk like that in real life i don't think you have to worry too much about it :P

You know it.

Drakken

I'm not getting married, ever, because in the end what difference does it make?

My girfriend is literally harassing me to ask her in marriage, and the mere fact that she does and insists pushes me even further from the idea, because for her she wants to parade around her husband. She wants to stake her claim, and it turns me off from the idea.

Other main reasons are:

A) There's no social expectation to marry anymore. I won't get shunned by society because I live in concubinage and commit fornication with my girlfriend. Living as live-in partners is the same as married life, and if it doesn't work there's no silly red-tape about divorce.

B) There is no real, significant economic benefits for men to marry, and most men have a lot to lose financially if (or when) the marriage breaks.

C) It is simply not alluring anymore. Let's not kid ourselves: marriages nowadays seldom not last unto death do us apart unless you marry in your 80s. It lasts until one gets fed up with the partner and leaves or finds better, just like in concubinage. No-fault divorce basically killed the meaning of marriage, and a lot of us saw how ours parents fared during their own marriages when we were kids.

D) Commitment is the same, whether you are married or not. The main problem is not men do not want to commit, but both men and women do not want to commit on the same terms, or the same age.

E) Whether we like it or not, both genders have become incredibly cynical about the dating game and each other's stereotype of playing it. Playas' and hoes' YOLO lifestyle is put on a piedestal, and these people only consider "settling down" when they are done playing the field or their beauty fades and the biological clock starts ticking. People still act like retarded teenagers and work McJobs to be able to afford life, well in their 20s. Adulthood now starts in the early thirties, and usually people look to settle down around this age as well.

That said, that Foxnews woman is all but asking women to turn the clock 100 years back, shut up, go back to the kitchen, and smile so that "the man" be happy.  Her text is not about the war on men, but her war on modern women. :rolleyes:

CountDeMoney

Too many (younger) women are more interested in the wedding than the marriage, anyway.

Tonitrus

Much as I'd like to buy into the idea that one can have a no-strings-attached concubinage as Drakken suggests, without the financial pitfalls.  I am sure modern lawyers have kept up, and will happily sue for half of the guy's money, even based on unmarried couples simply living together.  And our courts will happily make them pay.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2012, 02:45:47 PM
Too many (younger) women are more interested in the wedding than the marriage, anyway.
Younger? Keep thinking that :P They've had it planned since they were 12, the guys just a place holder :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 26, 2012, 02:48:49 PM
Much as I'd like to buy into the idea that one can have a no-strings-attached concubinage as Drakken suggests, without the financial pitfalls.  I am sure modern lawyers have kept up, and will happily sue for half of the guy's money, even based on unmarried couples simply living together.  And our courts will happily make them pay.
See Malthus! all your fault!

merithyn

Quote from: Drakken on November 26, 2012, 02:41:40 PM

A) There's no social expectation to marry anymore. I won't get shunned by society because I live in concubinage and commit fornication with my girlfriend. Living as live-in partners is the same as married life, and if it doesn't work there's no silly red-tape about divorce.

B) There is no real, significant economic benefits for men to marry, and most men have a lot to lose financially if (or when) the marriage breaks.

This, to me, is why there's no incentive for men to marry. Short of marrying in order to have more stake in the joint household items once children enter the picture, there really isn't much reason for men to marry like there was 50 years ago. Men get laid without the wedding, and they get fucked if things fall apart after the wedding.

For women, on the other hand, there's still a lot of reason to marry, not the least of which is the negative connotations that are still out there against women who give birth out of wedlock. In addition, women, in general, don't consider a relationship as "committed" unless there is a marriage certificate to prove it. It's nice to say, "Yeah, I'm committed to our relationship," but without some formal committment, not many women are willing to accept that.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2012, 02:26:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 26, 2012, 02:17:49 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2012, 02:04:54 PM
Fuck all that noise.  Never surrender your independence to anybody.  Ever.

I'd go one further. Declare your independence. Fly your own flag.

I already have.  My Fortress of Solitude is invincible.  The combined legions of Titus Pussicus can't break this motherfucker.

But WaMu can.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Drakken

I'm in Quebec, so it's civil law. Common law shenanigans about common-law husbandry and alimonies do not apply here - yet.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2012, 02:45:47 PM

I think that's a certain subset of women, not the majority. Unfortunately, they're the more vocal subset. :glare:

Drakken

Quote from: merithyn on November 26, 2012, 02:51:30 PM
For women, on the other hand, there's still a lot of reason to marry, not the least of which is the negative connotations that are still out there against women who give birth out of wedlock. In addition, women, in general, don't consider a relationship as "committed" unless there is a marriage certificate to prove it. It's nice to say, "Yeah, I'm committed to our relationship," but without some formal committment, not many women are willing to accept that.

I don't know in what part of backward Bible-belt you are living, but here in Canada - as in the rest of evolution-theory savyy mankind, there are zero negative connotations against women giving birth out of wetlock anymore. The negative connotations is against women who delay having children, or refuse to commit altogether into their thirthies.

Tonitrus

Great, we have to admit French superiority on something.

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on November 26, 2012, 02:56:45 PM
What Drakken suggests does not apply to English Canada.  Only in Quebec are we free to live the way we want.

So what happens if there's a child or children involved? How does that work?

Drakken

Quote from: merithyn on November 26, 2012, 02:58:29 PM
So what happens if there's a child or children involved? How does that work?

Child alimony, and joined custody unless unwarranted.