And we're back!

Main Menu

Suck it, Norquist!

Started by merithyn, November 26, 2012, 11:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on November 26, 2012, 04:14:12 PM
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar Yi!

That still leaves all the times it's not.

Zoupa

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2012, 04:12:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2012, 02:59:34 PM

I was asking you.

I don't believe you.  Based on the position in the thread and your posting history I figure it was either an attempt to defend Obama's position or an attempt to indict me for inconsistency.

You don't believe that I was in fact asking you?  The previous post seems to indicate I was.  I was asking a question and in response to your post.  I don't know how much clearer I could be.  Do you think I was not asking it in good faith?  Why would you think that?  Were you asking questions not in good faith?  I have no problem with raising taxes on everyone, especially Cal.  I never heard of a Schumer class of people.  As I really don't understand it, I would have a hard time defending it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Seriously, these Lincoln-Douglas debates between Raz and Yi are getting tiresome.  These two individual shticks, tiresome enough on their own, are ten times as tiresome when combined together.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2012, 11:51:01 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 26, 2012, 11:44:45 AM
Are you talking about the hedge fund taxes that Schumer is pushing for?

I'm talking about the Bush tax rates on people making less than 200K that Obama promised not to raise.
Why would you want that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2012, 05:00:14 PM
Do you think I was not asking it in good faith?

I just said as much.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on November 26, 2012, 05:17:04 PM
Seriously, these Lincoln-Douglas debates between Raz and Yi are getting tiresome.  These two individual shticks, tiresome enough on their own, are ten times as tiresome when combined together.

Agreed.

Get out of my thread with your shenanigans! :contract:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Do you think I was not asking it in good faith?  Why would you think that? 

I'm not Yi, but I'm guessing it's your track history.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2012, 05:23:57 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 26, 2012, 05:19:06 PM
Why would you want that?

Deficit reduction. :mellow:
How low do you want to go? To people making a $150k, a $100k? Lower?

How much do you think can be done without damaging the economy?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 26, 2012, 06:34:14 PM
How low do you want to go? To people making a $150k, a $100k? Lower?

Everyone.  Restore the Clinton tax ratyes.

QuoteHow much do you think can be done without damaging the economy?

None.  Did you think there was such a thing as pain-free deficit reduction?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 26, 2012, 05:29:25 PM
Do you think I was not asking it in good faith?  Why would you think that? 

I'm not Yi, but I'm guessing it's your track history.

What about his?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 26, 2012, 05:17:04 PM

I guess that means, Yi finally paid you off.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on November 26, 2012, 11:52:17 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 26, 2012, 11:24:16 AM
God, how I hate that man! I don't get how he has nearly as much power as he seems to have, and I'm absolutely fucking thrilled to see it diminished.
He gets his power the same way autocrats get their power:  through sheer terror.  As long as only a few politicians are willing to defy him at any one time, they will pay dearly.  His power will end the same way most dictators' power ends:  either by death, or by massive revolt by the subjects who all at once understand that the only thing they have to fear is fear itself.

And I will second what others are saying.  It's nice that politicians are speaking publicly about defying him, since that's already an act of defiance.  However, the proof will come by them telling Grover to fuck off by actually voting.

I don't think Norquist necessarily has the power. It is just that a sizeable section of the Republican electorate doesn't care about anything other than tax rates, and Norquist speaks to their concerns. If a bunch of them defy Norquist and vote to raise taxes, a bunch of them will get primaried, and the campaign against them won't be about how they defied Norquist but that they voted to raise taxes.

In the Republican Party today, you can discuss ending social security and medicare as we know it all you want and be just fine. Raising taxes is the real third rail.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014