Florida GOP shenanigans: when voter suppression just isn't enough!

Started by CountDeMoney, September 28, 2012, 09:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on October 01, 2012, 03:53:44 AM
You beacon of freedom you.

That's how it works everywhere.

Belgium doesn't count.

No it doesn't.  A number of countries have mandatory voting.  Quite a few countries (most countries in Europe?) have mandatory registration of place of residence.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2012, 11:55:30 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 01, 2012, 03:53:44 AM
You beacon of freedom you.

That's how it works everywhere.

Belgium doesn't count.

No it doesn't.  A number of countries have mandatory voting.  Quite a few countries (most countries in Europe?) have mandatory registration of place of residence.

Of course, a lot of places that have mandatory voting only have 1 choice on the ballot, or if there is a choice it's between, "Keep our glorious leader President for life" and "pull me out of the polling place and shoot me now".  However, it is my understanding that there are actually a few places that are functioning democracies that do have mandatory voting.

Admiral Yi

My understanding is it's fairly common in Latin America.  I thought some European posters had mentioned mandatory voting in their country as well.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Dark pink - have compulsory voting and enforced
Light pink - have compulsory voting, not enforced.
Yellow - historically had.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

citizen k

Ex-Republicans claim Fla. GOP suppressed Democratic vote

Former Republican Party of Florida Chairman Jim Greer has been claiming for months that state party members engineered a new law to suppress voter turnout, falsely touting voter fraud concerns to advance their mission. Now, other former Republicans and consultants are backing Greer up, The Palm Beach Post reports.
Greer, who is under indictment and accused of funneling campaign funds from the Republican Party, has been claiming that state Republicans supported a law (HB 1355)—which, in part, curtailed early voting—simply as a means to stymie the Democratic vote.
Staff and consultants "never came in to see me and tell me we had a (voter) fraud issue," Greer told the newspaper. "It's all a marketing ploy."
Former Republican Gov. Charlie Crist, GOP consultant Wayne Bertsch and one unnamed consultant now tell the newspaper that state Republicans and consultants were actively seeking ways to suppress Democratic turnout following the 2008 election.
"I know that the cutting out of the Sunday before Election Day was one of their targets only because that's a big day when the black churches organize themselves," the anonymous longtime GOP consultant told the newspaper.
State officials continue to discredit Greer as a disgruntled former Republican. Greer, in a deposition filed against the party this summer, accused leaders of working to suppress black turnout and made other damning claims.
Crist is also regarded as an enemy of the GOP following his party switch, his decision to back President Barack Obama for re-election this year, and his subsequent attacks on his former party. This past summer, Crist lambasted the Florida GOP for backing new laws that applied more restrictive voter ID requirements.
Republicans claim that Greer was not privy to the alleged meetings, that the discussions that he claimed took place never happened, and that the GOP did not seek to suppress turnout—a potentially illegal act.

Disgruntled ex-Republicans ... :lmfao:

sbr

And dozens of blacks voted in Maine.  They getting uppity.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son