Florida GOP shenanigans: when voter suppression just isn't enough!

Started by CountDeMoney, September 28, 2012, 09:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

That's the way it works Marty.  You don't have to reregister every single election.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2012, 02:34:28 AM
That's the way it works Marty.  You don't have to reregister every single election.

Oh ok. So why is there so much fuss about it? I mean, that's pretty much how it works in Europe too.  :huh:

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2012, 03:01:42 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2012, 02:34:28 AM

Oh ok. So why is there so much fuss about it? I mean, that's pretty much how it works in Europe too.  :huh:

Because racists think that black people are unable to register to vote even once in their lives.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2012, 03:01:42 AM

The fuss is about the people who haven't reregistered after a move, or who never registered in the first place.

My understanding is in most European countries you have to register your place of residence with the authorities so a seperate registration to vote is superfluous.

In the US registering to vote and voting are voluntary acts.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on September 30, 2012, 01:43:41 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 29, 2012, 10:46:35 PM
Private companies/actors shouldn't be able to go around registering voters anyway.  If you want to vote, one should go to an appropriate state agency.

Why not just completely take away poor people's right to vote while you're at it?

If they're too lazy to go to register to vote, they're probably too lazy to vote as well.

Razgovory

Well part of the fuss has been taking people off the voting rolls with for supposed fraud when in fact, no crime has been committed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2012, 10:14:23 PM
Quote from: Scipio on September 29, 2012, 09:16:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2012, 08:36:17 PM
No, first we killed all the lawyers.  If you are still around after that, you can make suggestions.

If it weren't for lawyers, you'd be locked up in a straightjacket, so I suggest you modulate your attitude stat.

Incorrect.  I've never had a day in court and never needed to have a lawyer.  All my trips to the hospital were self admitted.
The ability to self-admit and check yourself out are the creation of lawyers.  Under the progressive thinking of the 1st half of the 20th century, they would have electroshocked you into insensibility and sterilized you.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Queequeg

...and by the Southern Conservative thinking of the time, you would be an uppity ferigner sub-Papist who would be subjected to constant harassment.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on September 30, 2012, 04:49:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2012, 10:14:23 PM
Quote from: Scipio on September 29, 2012, 09:16:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2012, 08:36:17 PM
No, first we killed all the lawyers.  If you are still around after that, you can make suggestions.

If it weren't for lawyers, you'd be locked up in a straightjacket, so I suggest you modulate your attitude stat.

Incorrect.  I've never had a day in court and never needed to have a lawyer.  All my trips to the hospital were self admitted.
The ability to self-admit and check yourself out are the creation of lawyers.  Under the progressive thinking of the 1st half of the 20th century, they would have electroshocked you into insensibility and sterilized you.

Uh, no.  The ability to self-admit and check out is not the creation of lawyers.  Hospitals predate the 20st century and people could self-admit themselves into hospitals without the need for lawyers.  It would be a bit strange for involuntary commitment laws to exist before the actual creation of the hospitals wouldn't it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 28, 2012, 10:19:05 PM
Sproul has also been linked to signature fraud this election cycle in his home state of Arizona where he was working on a ballot initiative that would allow the state to nullify any federal laws it finds to be unconstitutional.

Oh, god.  Doctrine of nullification. :bleeding:

Dude sounds like a kook who's almost 200 years past his sell-by date.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

There was a lot of talk about the possibility of nullification a couple years back amongst the GOP.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2012, 01:36:34 PM
In the US registering to vote and voting are voluntary acts.

You beacon of freedom you.

That's how it works everywhere.

Belgium doesn't count.