News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Strip Club blows up

Started by jimmy olsen, November 25, 2012, 08:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Languish pun smiths, don't fail me now.  :sleep:

usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/25/15431811-human-error-blamed-for-gas-explosion-that-damaged-more-than-40-buildings-in-springfield-mass?lite

QuoteBy NBC News staff and news services

A powerful natural gas explosion that leveled a strip club, damaged 41 other buildings and injured about 20 people in Springfield, Mass., was triggered when a utility worker accidentally punctured a pipe, authorities announced on Sunday.

"Human error ... is what the cause of the explosion was," Massachusetts Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan said at an afternoon news conference.

Follow @NBCNewsUS

Officials said a worker for Columbia Gas Co., responding to a call Friday evening about a gas odor in a building on Worthington Street in the city's entertainment district, was using a metal probe to try to find the leak. He accidentally punctured an underground pipeline, causing gas to rush out, and an unknown spark triggered the powerful explosion.

The blast flattened Scores Gentlemen's Club, heavily damaged a day care center, shattered windows and scattered debris over several blocks. Scores and other area buildings had been evacuated before the blast, according to The Republican newspaper.

Some officials called it a miracle that no one was killed.

Most of the injured were part of a group of gas workers, firefighters and police officers who ducked for cover behind a utility truck just before the blast. Part of the neighborhood already had been evacuated because of reports of a gas leak and odor.

Preliminary reports showed the blast damaged a total of 42 buildings housing 115 residential units. Three buildings were immediately condemned, and 24 others require additional inspections by structural engineers to determine whether they are safe, according to The Associated Press.

Roughly 20 people were injured. None of the injuries was considered life-threatening.

Springfield, which is 90 miles west of Boston and has about 150,000 residents, is the largest city in western Massachusetts. It's known as the home of the Basketball Hall of Fame, which is not near the blast site.

The city has been rebuilding from damage caused by a tornado in June 2011.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe blast flattened Scores Gentlemen's Club, heavily damaged a day care center,

See?  You can get affordable care for single moms.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 25, 2012, 09:05:04 PM
QuoteThe blast flattened Scores Gentlemen's Club, heavily damaged a day care center,

See?  You can get affordable care for single moms.
No, no honey, don't worry about it i'll take the kids to day care.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

sbr

Yeah I bet it was a "punctured pipe" that did it.

Josquius

this week's dexter? ive not seen it yet
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

garbon

I'm reminded of the discussion of non-news items.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 26, 2012, 09:40:57 AM
I'm reminded of the discussion of non-news items.

Yeah, and look who created the thread.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Is FEMA going to step in & offer emergency stripping services during the clean-up and rebuilding?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Government issue strippers, bleh.

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on November 26, 2012, 02:25:48 PM

Good point.  The paperwork is probably the least concern.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 26, 2012, 02:39:09 PM
Quote from: frunk on November 26, 2012, 02:25:48 PM

Good point.  The paperwork is probably the least concern.

Damned AFSCME.

KRonn

QuotePreliminary reports showed the blast damaged a total of 42 buildings housing 115 residential units. Three buildings were immediately condemned, and 24 others require additional inspections by structural engineers to determine whether they are safe, according to The Associated Press. 

Sheesh, the blast did a lot of damage! So why is a  strip club so close to so many residential buildings? I'd think zoning regs would prevent that. But hey, at least the club's workers didn't have a long commute!

Amazing that there were no serious injuries.