Your National Stereotype You'd Like To Dispel.

Started by mongers, November 23, 2012, 04:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2012, 05:55:51 PM

That young Danish women are fit, I've yet to encounter one that dispels that.

Years ago a buddy of mine asked me to take a couple Danish au pairs out on New Year's Eve.  They turned out to be tubs.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2012, 06:25:32 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2012, 05:55:51 PM

That young Danish women are fit, I've yet to encounter one that dispels that.

Years ago a buddy of mine asked me to take a couple Danish au pairs out on New Year's Eve.  They turned out to be tubs.

You should have sued under the 'Trade Descriptions Act'. :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2012, 05:43:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 23, 2012, 05:14:58 PM
Quote from: Liep on November 23, 2012, 04:58:32 PM
There are no bad stereotypes about the Danes, so I can't answer this one.

I've heard some things.

Let's hear them.  I can't think of any myself.

I think the world has a fairly accurate image of Americans.

Screw you.  I am way out front on that issue.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

I dont know which one....theres a collection of them all based on the 19th century.
The bad teeth one still holds because the Americans control the media and they (the media ones) have weird freakishly white teeth, they therefore think our normal teeth are especially bad.
The bad food one though is just nonsense. I'd go for that.

For Japan the idea that it is a super-high tech country needs dispelling. Japan are very good at making an image for themselves.
██████
██████
██████

Archy

That we're all pederast and that we're neonazis who want to break up our country.

Martinus

I don't think this needs to be a bad stereotype.

Martinus

Are there any good stereotypes about Poles, by the way? Because the bad ones are probably largely true.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2012, 01:19:26 AM
Are there any good stereotypes about Poles, by the way? Because the bad ones are probably largely true.

How many Poles does it take to screw in a Light bulb?

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2012, 01:19:26 AM

That poles are likely to be physically strong.  -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

That we aren't interested in other cultures. Most Americans are, though ignorance is predominant.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2012, 01:18:29 AM

I don't think this needs to be a bad stereotype.
In that case, we're not really the happiest people in the world.

Also, we're not that interested in the environment. We cycle because Copenhagen is congested and the public transport is not satisfactory.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

I'd like to get rid of the bad food one.  I aggressively give recommendations to any visitors I meet - 'looking for a steak in Central London, why not give Angus Steak House a miss and pop down the road to Hawksmoor!' 

I was chatting to some work people though and they asked me what English 'national' food was and I realised that everything I could think of was home cooking.  So I may have to start cooking for tourists too.
Let's bomb Russia!