News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Thanksgiving!

Started by garbon, November 22, 2012, 07:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mine turned out to be surprisingly decent.  Mom punted this year so we were stuck at my sister in law's mom's house, where quality and variety of food is usally bad.  Not sure how, but she got the turkey just about perfect, so I piled that on & had just green bean casserole and mashed potatoes as sides.  Dad brought the pinot noir I had been dropping hints on, and that went really well with the turkey.  Win.

Pumpkin pie was store-bought but still tasted good paired with my Fernet & Coke.  Watched football mostly without female interference.  Had fun asking my niece & nephew what they wanted for Christmas-- they were all over the damned map.  Nephew, for example, wanted $1000 so he could get Netflix (??) and "some mouthpieces"
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

CAL'S THANKSGIVING AAR

We had Thanksgiving at Princesca's aunt's log cabin down in the Bullitt County knobs... perfect setting for a Thanksgiving dinner. :cool:

For an 'appetizer' Princesca brought a bourbon slush made with cranberry juice, lemonade, and Jim Beam White (of course).

Main meal consisted of:

* Turkey.  Uncle David got lazy this year and didn't deep fry it :mad: , so it was unremarkable.
* Gravy
* Mashed taters
* Regular dressing
* Oyster dressing
* Cranberry sauce (someone made a homemade sauce with whole cranberries, and there was also some of that jelly shit that comes from a can)
* Cheesy tater casserole
* Broccoli casserole
* Green bean casserole
* Bourbon sweet taters (also made by Princesca)
* Seven-layer salad
* Macaroni and cheese
* Waldorf salad (another Princesca dish, which I did most of the prep work for)
* Deviled eggs... I thought these were going to be absent because my mother-in-law was sick, but someone else made them :yeah:
* Dinner rolls

Dessert:

* Chocolate chip cookie bars
* Pumpkin pie
* Pecan pie

For some reason there was a lot less stuff than in years past. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Grey Fox

@Cal of course there is less stuff. You are in a recession. Gotta cut somewhere.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Pumpkin pie for breakfast the day after. :cool:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Meri's Thanksgiving for Wayward Souls deemed a rousing success!

We had ten people at the table, with one "take-out" meal being sent over to a friend who couldn't make it, and another friend showing up later and digging into the left-overs.

On the menu:

Food:
Turkey - roasted with a butter-herb coating
Ham - sugar-glazed
Mashed potatoes
Candied yams
Scalloped oysters
Cornbread stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Candied carrots
Poutine
Collared greens
Vinagrette green beans
Deviled eggs
Fresh veggies, olives, pickles, etc.
Homemade whole wheat rolls

Desserts:
Homemade pumpkin, apple, and cherry pies (I even made the crust myself)
Homemade whipped cream
Homemade eggnog (with whiskey and rum)

Drinks:
Rhine wine
Chianti wine
Homemade chai mead
Homemade Blueberry cordial
Homemade Cranberry cordial
Evan Williams whiskey
Soda pop
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I'm so happy it is warming up here. 50s!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Bro, I had shorts on yesterday.  SRSLY

garbon

Wanted to say warmish. Stupid iPad.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Jesus garbo, enough with the name dropping of what electronics gear you have.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Caliga

Oh, I forgot... when we were leaving yesterday I heard a couple of shots.  I think the neighbor got a deer. :cool: