And we're back!

Main Menu

Weapons Question: Crossbows vs. Early Firearms

Started by Malthus, November 21, 2012, 05:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2012, 06:29:56 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 23, 2012, 09:48:22 AM
I find it hard to believe that there was such a thing as a run of the mill knight.

Don Quixote.

Oh wait... he was a run at the mill knight.

:lol:

Berkut

One thing that really sealed to dominance of the musket was the invention of the simple socket-bayonet. That turned the musketman into the modern infantryman, and saw the end of "specialized" infantry troops as the bulk of formations - now everyone was an infantryman, and could fight at range with mass volley and close and fight shock as well.

Obviously, once you start lining up your infantry and using volley musket fire to soften up the opponent and then charge and give them the bayonet, there is no real place for anyone with something as cumbersome as crossbow.

Also, I don't think the cost of powder/shot per soldier was necessarily more expensive than quarrels. Rather the advent of massed musket bearing infantry meant that you had to have some way to supply a lot them with a LOT of powder, which was very expensive. In other words, if you could manufacture crossbows and quarrels in the same numbers as muskets and powder/shot, you would likely have the same problem. But nobody was putting thousands of crossbowmen into the field.

But I rather doubt you can mass produce crossbows and quarrels in that manner anyway. Poweder might be problematic for a lot of reasons, but it seems much more conducive to mass manufacture than quarrels.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I don't think crossbows were in much use by the time of socket-bayonet.  I wonder how much a Renaissance age crossbow weighted vs an early firearm.  The earliest firearms were looked pretty heavy (being essentially a mini cannon attached to a pole), and even the original muskets had a portable rest to put the gun on when firing.  Late model crossbows often had winches to pull back the string, so they might be fairly heavy as well.  Since soldiers marched more then they fought, even a few pounds of weight might one weapon preferable to another.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

I find it hard to believe that there was such a thing as a run of the mill knight.

Don Quixote.

:lol: Nice
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on November 22, 2012, 12:23:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 22, 2012, 12:19:01 PM
I don't think the consensus is that gunpowder was cheap, but rather that it wasn't that expensive.

If I were to guess I would say that the cost of a crossbow bolt may not have been that much different from the cost of ball and powder. The powder probably gained more from mass production than the bolt, and the balls could be manufactured trivially easy by the gunner himself (no skill required). I don't know the price of lead.

Yeah, and given that I've read that the opposite was true, I wonder what people are basing this idea on.

Complete speculation . . .

Powder might not be cheap, but it would be amenable to centralized production. If you were say an early modern state with some ambition and the desire to create a rudimentary standing army, you probably wouldn't start training up crossbowmen, because the Genoese (and other mercenaries) already had that market cornered.  But gunnery was new and the technology upgrading pretty regularly, so provided the cash and will were there, it wouldn't take that long to train up and field whatever passed for state of the art troops - and the arms could be built in state sponsored or financed facilities, with the side benefit of nice opportunities for patronage, monopolies, etc.  Hence the Three Musketeers and not the Three Crossbowmen.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Don Quixote.

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Adoption of the firearm as a means of centralizing violence by early modern states.  Very interesting.  Read that somewhere, Minsky? It's novel enough that a book could probably be written on it.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Anyone know what the ratio of crossbow to firearm in the old tericos was? I bet there'd be differences in using them en masse.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on November 24, 2012, 02:29:27 AM
Adoption of the firearm as a means of centralizing violence by early modern states.  Very interesting.  Read that somewhere, Minsky? It's novel enough that a book could probably be written on it.

Ouch.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2012, 03:48:43 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 24, 2012, 02:29:27 AM

Ouch.
Most certainly not meant as an insult.

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on November 24, 2012, 02:36:13 AM
Anyone know what the ratio of crossbow to firearm in the old tericos was? I bet there'd be differences in using them en masse.

To the best of my knowledge tercios didn't use crossbows. I don't really know much about the proto-tercio evolving deep within the reconquista of andalucia so I'm not going to suggest I do. However, the tercio as experienced by non-spanish europeans the hard way started out as a formation of unarmored pike supported by arquebusiers to a formation of arquebusiers with mixed armored and unarmored pikemen in support over about 100 years after Charles V inheritance.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: Viking on November 24, 2012, 11:35:59 AM

To the best of my knowledge tercios didn't use crossbows. I don't really know much about the proto-tercio evolving deep within the reconquista of andalucia so I'm not going to suggest I do. However, the tercio as experienced by non-spanish europeans the hard way started out as a formation of unarmored pike supported by arquebusiers to a formation of arquebusiers with mixed armored and unarmored pikemen in support over about 100 years after Charles V inheritance.

Yes, my understanding has always been that the tercio was developed as a formation that allowed the arquebusiers to have a decent field of fire while still enjoying the protection of the pikemen.  I've never come across any reference to tercios using crossbowmen instead of, or supplementary to, the arquebusiers, either.  But I also haven't studied the history of the formation in detail, and most of the general reference works deal mostly with its usage after the reconquista.

Viking

Quote from: dps on November 24, 2012, 10:48:30 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 24, 2012, 11:35:59 AM

Yes, my understanding has always been that the tercio was developed as a formation that allowed the arquebusiers to have a decent field of fire while still enjoying the protection of the pikemen.  I've never come across any reference to tercios using crossbowmen instead of, or supplementary to, the arquebusiers, either.  But I also haven't studied the history of the formation in detail, and most of the general reference works deal mostly with its usage after the reconquista.

Payroll records of the tercios (they had a doppelsöldner type shock troop as well) show that early tercios consist of about 2/3 pikemen without doppelsöldners while late tercios have about 1/3 pikemen of which 1/2 are doppelsöldners.

To me this suggests a move from defensive to exceptionally aggressive tactics.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Iormlund

An early text quoted in Spanish wiki specifically mentions crossbowmen (and espingarderos) as the ranged component of the proto-Tercio shortly after the Reconquista ended.