News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weapons Question: Crossbows vs. Early Firearms

Started by Malthus, November 21, 2012, 05:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I'm unsure why the consensus is that early modern gunpowder was cheap. What I have heard is that what made gunpowder expensive in Europe was a relative shortage of saltpetre - until the English started to exploit Indian sources, and (later) industrial methods were developed to manufacture it.

For example, the relative expense of gunpowder is sometimes cited offhand as the reason why English armies practiced drilling with live ammo, while continental armies generally did not (giving the former and advantage in speedy firing). 

However, if this understanding is incorrect, I welcome any sources on the topic.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on November 22, 2012, 06:27:45 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 22, 2012, 06:12:37 AM
I had this very discussion with a friend of mine nearly 30 years ago. Being a physicist he went back to first principles and together we calculated the kinetic energy of a musket ball compared to that of a crossbow quarrel. We came to the conclusion that the kinetic energy imparted to a musket ball was at least an order of magnitude greater than that imparted to a crossbow quarrel.

Also an issue.
In Asia they tended not to have armour on the level of that seen in Europe to deal with, hence cutting, piercing, slashing, etc... remained good things to have your weapons do.
In Europe you just had to hit knights as hard as possible.

That's another history question really...why don't you get such heavily armoured soldiers outside of Europe?
Just a case of feudalism and Asian armies being mostly commoners supplied by the government as opposed to rich guys who bought themselves all the best stuff? In Japan there was the shortage of decent iron issue too but I doubt that applied everywhere.

I dunno, Samurai armour is pretty heavy duty.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2012, 11:48:14 PM
I don't know where Viking got his stuff about cheap cannon.  I'm wary of "experimental archeology".  I imagine it was expensive to dig up, smelt and shape all that iron in the late middle ages.  Quality of iron was probably inconsistent, and that made the guns dangerous.  I don't think using cannon as field artillery occurred with much regularity until the Renaissance period.  They were mostly used to knock down fortifications.

You do realize that experimental archaeology for historical subjects like this involve the tying of written sources, extant remains (from museums, etc) to actually producing the products like cannons.  Your backhanded dismissal shows you do not care to understand.  It does not seek to be an end-all, but rather to fill in some of the space between theory and events.

Iron was expensive, but well available.  The problem was, as you say, casting large pieces.  Still, the first gunpowder weapons were proto-cannons, and they were used on the battlefields from the time of the 100 Years War at least.

Lastly, the Renaissance was part of the Late Middle Ages.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

My own opinion is that the reason people chose firearms over crossbows has nothing to do with the relative technical attributes of the weapons.

I'm thinking that the smoke & noise factor may have been the most significant - purely as a psychological boost, as well as practically in terms of scaring the enemy and their horses. It is very satisfying to shoot off a gun, one really has the feeling one is dealing out death & destruction - even if on a harmless tin can. :D

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on November 22, 2012, 08:58:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2012, 11:48:14 PM
I don't know where Viking got his stuff about cheap cannon.  I'm wary of "experimental archeology".  I imagine it was expensive to dig up, smelt and shape all that iron in the late middle ages.  Quality of iron was probably inconsistent, and that made the guns dangerous.  I don't think using cannon as field artillery occurred with much regularity until the Renaissance period.  They were mostly used to knock down fortifications.

You do realize that experimental archaeology for historical subjects like this involve the tying of written sources, extant remains (from museums, etc) to actually producing the products like cannons.  Your backhanded dismissal shows you do not care to understand.  It does not seek to be an end-all, but rather to fill in some of the space between theory and events.

Iron was expensive, but well available.  The problem was, as you say, casting large pieces.  Still, the first gunpowder weapons were proto-cannons, and they were used on the battlefields from the time of the 100 Years War at least.

You do understand there is a difference between people who have a strong understanding of chemistry, metallurgy and physics trying to do something they know would work, and illiterate people who were frequently killed experimenting with this kind of thing?  Thor Heyerdahl, was big into experimental archeology which he used to bridge his wild theories with events.  It didn't make those theories anymore right.  Hence I'm wary of it, especially the vague reference that Viking referred to. The cannons used on battle fields in the 100 years war were immobile and often put up on earthworks.  They didn't become an effective mobile battlefield weapon until the 30 years war or so.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on November 22, 2012, 08:39:22 AM
I'm unsure why the consensus is that early modern gunpowder was cheap. What I have heard is that what made gunpowder expensive in Europe was a relative shortage of saltpetre - until the English started to exploit Indian sources, and (later) industrial methods were developed to manufacture it.

For example, the relative expense of gunpowder is sometimes cited offhand as the reason why English armies practiced drilling with live ammo, while continental armies generally did not (giving the former and advantage in speedy firing). 

However, if this understanding is incorrect, I welcome any sources on the topic.

The Chinese were using it as a toy, so it couldn't be that expensive to make.  I don't think practicing with live ammo was common even during the American Civil War.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

On the cost issue I would imagine that an efficient crossbow and a supply of true-flying quarrels were also rather expensive. It was certainly not a matter of equipping any old rabble with a weapon that could be produced by any old blacksmith or carpenter. I recall the French hiring Genoese crossbowmen in their wars against the English, these professionals were very expensive.

PDH

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2012, 11:48:45 AM

You do understand there is a difference between people who have a strong understanding of chemistry, metallurgy and physics trying to do something they know would work, and illiterate people who were frequently killed experimenting with this kind of thing?  Thor Heyerdahl, was big into experimental archeology which he used to bridge his wild theories with events.  It didn't make those theories anymore right.  Hence I'm wary of it, especially the vague reference that Viking referred to.

No, you don't understand experimental archaeology, theories, or methods used.  Using Heyerdahl as your reference point shows that.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on November 22, 2012, 08:54:29 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 22, 2012, 06:27:45 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 22, 2012, 06:12:37 AM
I had this very discussion with a friend of mine nearly 30 years ago. Being a physicist he went back to first principles and together we calculated the kinetic energy of a musket ball compared to that of a crossbow quarrel. We came to the conclusion that the kinetic energy imparted to a musket ball was at least an order of magnitude greater than that imparted to a crossbow quarrel.

Also an issue.
In Asia they tended not to have armour on the level of that seen in Europe to deal with, hence cutting, piercing, slashing, etc... remained good things to have your weapons do.
In Europe you just had to hit knights as hard as possible.

That's another history question really...why don't you get such heavily armoured soldiers outside of Europe?
Just a case of feudalism and Asian armies being mostly commoners supplied by the government as opposed to rich guys who bought themselves all the best stuff? In Japan there was the shortage of decent iron issue too but I doubt that applied everywhere.

I dunno, Samurai armour is pretty heavy duty.

It's more comparable to contemporary Russian or Turkish armor.  Largely lamellar and ceramic, occasional nanban-inspired breastplate.  I think it would actually probably be a lot easier to fight in than the Western equivalent, and due to Japan's inclement weather and iron shortage it was probably ideally suited to the period. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: PDH on November 22, 2012, 08:58:39 AM

the source I had for the early guns was this time team episode, the link is to the relevant time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=I_o2ShhsKd0#t=1189s

the amateur builds one in an afternoon.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

I don't think the consensus is that gunpowder was cheap, but rather that it wasn't that expensive.

If I were to guess I would say that the cost of a crossbow bolt may not have been that much different from the cost of ball and powder. The powder probably gained more from mass production than the bolt, and the balls could be manufactured trivially easy by the gunner himself (no skill required). I don't know the price of lead.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Brain on November 22, 2012, 12:12:53 PM
So how expensive was iron in Japan?
South of Hokkaido and most northern Honshu, Japan is pretty mineral poor.  I don't know exactly how expensive it was, but I don't think it was practical to have massive steel plate of the type seen in the west. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on November 22, 2012, 12:19:01 PM
I don't think the consensus is that gunpowder was cheap, but rather that it wasn't that expensive.

If I were to guess I would say that the cost of a crossbow bolt may not have been that much different from the cost of ball and powder. The powder probably gained more from mass production than the bolt, and the balls could be manufactured trivially easy by the gunner himself (no skill required). I don't know the price of lead.

Yeah, and given that I've read that the opposite was true, I wonder what people are basing this idea on.

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on November 22, 2012, 12:22:11 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 22, 2012, 12:12:53 PM
So how expensive was iron in Japan?
South of Hokkaido and most northern Honshu, Japan is pretty mineral poor.  I don't know exactly how expensive it was, but I don't think it was practical to have massive steel plate of the type seen in the west.

Japanese armour included types which had, basically, massive steel plates for breastplates. Where it differed was in how the armour was articulated (the Japanese used laces a lot).

More than you ever wanted to know about it: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html