News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weapons Question: Crossbows vs. Early Firearms

Started by Malthus, November 21, 2012, 05:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2012, 09:23:48 AM
I find it hard to believe that your run of the mill knight kept two suits of armor in the closet.

I find it hard to believe that there was such a thing as a run of the mill knight.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

I find it hard to believe that your run of the mill knight kept two suits of armor in the closet.

Why?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I don't think all knights participated in jousts.  It may not have required two totally separate suits of armor just some pieces.  I don't think early knights used special armor for jousting, it may have been late invention.  There were certainly jousting helmets that were unsuited for actual combat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

"Jousting armour" was indeed a later invention, and it was much heavier than armour actually used in battle - it was specialized for the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jousting_armour#Jousting_armour

It is this stuff which gave rise to the misconceptions about medieval knights being unable to move in armour, being winched onto their horses, etc. This form of armour was (a) not medieval, and (b) not intended for actual warfare - only for the game of jousting, which only involved poking at each other with lances on horseback.

Earlier "jousts" were more like actual battles and used ordinary armour.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

sbr

What sort of armor did they use in the jousts with flying ostriches?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 23, 2012, 01:41:11 PM
"Jousting armour" was indeed a later invention, and it was much heavier than armour actually used in battle - it was specialized for the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jousting_armour#Jousting_armour

It is this stuff which gave rise to the misconceptions about medieval knights being unable to move in armour, being winched onto their horses, etc. This form of armour was (a) not medieval, and (b) not intended for actual warfare - only for the game of jousting, which only involved poking at each other with lances on horseback.

Yi could still be right if the knights didnt keep it in a closet.

PDH

Quote from: sbr on November 23, 2012, 01:42:33 PM
What sort of armor did they use in the jousts with flying ostriches?

One that allowed hitting the two buttons fast enough to stay airborne.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Iormlund

Quote from: Malthus on November 23, 2012, 01:41:11 PM

I seem to recall late Roman Equites using dedicated, ornate armor for mock battles. Can't place where I read about it though.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on November 23, 2012, 09:48:22 AM
I find it hard to believe that there was such a thing as a run of the mill knight.

Don Quixote.

Oh wait... he was a run at the mill knight.

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2012, 06:29:56 PM

Don Quixote.

:yeah:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

sbr

Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2012, 06:29:56 PM

Don Quixote.

:lol: