And we're back!

Main Menu

Polish authorities arrest a terror suspect

Started by Martinus, November 20, 2012, 07:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuotePolish authorities say they have thwarted terror attack on top leaders
By Vanessa Gera, The Associated Press November 20, 2012 4:00 AM

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Polish+authorities+arrest+planning+attack+Parliament/7574625/story.html#ixzz2ClVuUb1c
WARSAW, Poland - Polish authorities have arrested a man who was planning to detonate a four-ton car bomb in front of the Parliament building in Warsaw while the president, prime minister, government ministers and lawmakers were inside.

Prosecutors said Tuesday that they arrested the suspect in Krakow on Nov. 9. They say he is a 45-year-old Polish researcher employed at the University of Agriculture in Krakow who had access to chemistry laboratories. He was in illegal possession of explosive materials, munitions and guns.

They say the suspect, an expert on explosives, was motivated by nationalistic, xenophobic and anti-Semitic ideas, but that he does not formally belong to any political group. He is refusing to be submitted to psychiatric testing, they added.

The suspect, who was not identified by name, was building bombs himself and also had detonators, said prosecutor Mariusz Krason.

"He believed that the current social and political situation in our country is moving in the wrong direction" and that those in positions of power are "foreign," Krason said. "In his opinion they are not true Poles."

Krason did not explain further, but one strain of anti-Semitic thinking holds that Jews secretly control power in Poland. In truth, Poland's Jewish community is tiny — several thousand in a country of 38 million — and very few Jews hold political positions in the country.

The rector at the suspect's university, Wlodzimierz Sady, said the man was a chemist who taught courses and did his own research. He did not raise any suspicion until his arrest, Sady told The Associated Press.

"This is serious, we are all in shock," Sady said.

Authorities said the man intended to put four tons of explosives in a car and detonate them outside the Parliament building in the heart of the capital while President Bronislaw Komorowski, Prime Minister Donald Tusk and Cabinet ministers were inside, along with the members of the 460-seat lower chamber.

"The threat of an attack was real," said Artur Wrona, a prosecutor who was among several officials who gave the details of the thwarted terror attack at a news conference in Warsaw.

Krason said the man has confessed in part to the suspicions against him, including planning an assassination of the state leaders. If he is convicted he could face up to five years in prison.

Two others working with him were also arrested for the illegal possession of weapons and two more have been questioned.

The investigation and arrests are being led by the Internal Security Agency. The group published film footage of test explosions in a rural area made by the suspect and found among his possessions.

Both the president and the prime minister were informed of the assassination plan and the investigation before the news was released to the public, said Joanna Trzaska-Wieczorek, a spokeswoman for the president.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Polish+authorities+arrest+planning+attack+Parliament/7574625/story.html#ixzz2ClVlsKWZ

I for one wouldn't mind some crackdown on the rightwingers.  :showoff:

Martinus

Apparently, the guy was a supporter of the political party/leader supported also by szmik.  :ph34r:

derspiess

I swear I thought the thread title was the first line of a Polack joke.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 10:54:38 AM

The leading Polish suicide bomber has 24 successful attacks.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2012, 10:59:10 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 10:54:38 AM

The leading Polish suicide bomber has 24 successful attacks.

There we go :thumbsup:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

How many gay Polish lawyers does it take to make a suicide bomber vest?

Two, one for the vest while the other picks out the matching tie. *^)#( !& #BY#HFHOB!#

Richard Hakluyt

".........put four tons of explosives in a car..........."  :hmm:

Big car.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on November 20, 2012, 07:42:39 AM
Apparently, the guy was a supporter of the political party/leader supported also by szmik.  :ph34r:

Szmik didn't strike me as that bright.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2012, 12:55:10 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 20, 2012, 07:42:39 AM

Szmik didn't strike me as that bright.

How does that necessarily impugn szmik's political views?  By the same token I could discredit yours by finding some nutjob who happens to be a Democrat who voted for Obama.

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 01:04:53 PM
By the same token I could discredit yours by finding some nutjob who happens to be a Democrat who voted for Obama.
There are some who call him Razgovory

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on November 20, 2012, 12:58:42 PM
Facing up to FIVE years in prison?
Maybe in Poland you get a year per ton of explosives.

Ed Anger

The five years is five years locked in Mart's tiny flat.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 20, 2012, 01:10:58 PM

No socks with the prison slippers, either.

Gups

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 20, 2012, 01:10:58 PM

The only prison where nobody does anal.