News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

You guys following the John Macafee Story?

Started by Jacob, November 19, 2012, 07:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

My thread on it was completely ignored...so yes! :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Bizarre stuff.

Any theories on how it'll end or what's really going on?

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

He's like a combination of Howard Hughes, Wesley Snipes and Phil Spector.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2012, 07:58:02 PM
Bizarre stuff.

I've no idea. He certainly isn't looking good while blogging on the run. That said - I'd probably be concerned about turning myself over to the Belizean(?) authorities. :D

dps

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 08:04:10 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2012, 07:58:02 PM
Bizarre stuff.

I've no idea. He certainly isn't looking good while blogging on the run. That said - I'd probably be concerned about turning myself over to the Belizean(?) authorities. :D

I don't know much about their legal system or anything, but I think I'd be more comfortable turning myself in there than in most countries.

Of course, part of that is simply because they're an English-speaking country, so I could at least understand what was being said without an interpreter.

Richard Hakluyt

The rule of law is in operation IIRC, their highest court is the UK's privy council, the head of state being the Queen. It is a small country but it wouldn't be anything like being hauled before the authorities in a place like Guatemala.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Who would have thought that exiling yourself to a third world country so as to be free to stuff paranoia-inducing drugs up your ass would end so badly?  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/guatemala-deport-software-pioneer-mcafee-u-official-190034431--finance.html

QuoteGuatemala said on Wednesday it would deport to the United States software pioneer John McAfee, a former Silicon Valley millionaire who is wanted for questioning in Belize over the murder of a fellow American.

McAfee has been held for a week by immigration officials in Guatemala, where he surfaced after evading officials in Belize for nearly a month. McAfee's lawyers managed to block an attempt to deport him back to Belize.

"Complying with migration law, Mr. John McAfee is to be deported to his country of origin," said Fernando Lucero, a spokesman for Guatemala's immigration office.

Guatemala has been holding McAfee, 67, since he was arrested last Wednesday for illegally entering the country with his 20-year-old Belizean girlfriend.
McAfee said he would be heading to Florida.

"I'll be leaving at 3:30 (p.m.) to Miami," he told Reuters by telephone, after which he left for the airport. "That was the only option I had. I can't take a flight that stops in any other country and there are only two flights going to America today."

Police in Belize want to question McAfee as a "person of interest" in the killing of American Gregory Faull, his neighbor on the Caribbean island of Ambergris Caye.

The two had quarreled at times, including over McAfee's unruly dogs. Authorities in Belize say he is not a prime suspect in the investigation.

The eccentric tech pioneer, who made his fortune from the anti-virus software bearing his name, has been chronicling life on the run in a blog, www.whoismcafee.com.

McAfee claims Belize authorities will kill him if he turns himself in for questioning. He has denied any role in Faull's killing and said he is being persecuted by Belize's ruling party for refusing to pay some $2 million in bribes.

Belize's prime minister has rejected the allegations, calling McAfee paranoid and "bonkers.

Belize police spokesman Raphael Martinez said Belize would still want to question McAfee if he reached the United States.

"He will be just under the good will of the United States of America. He is still is a person of interest, but a U.S. national has been killed and he has been somewhat implicated in that murder. People want him to answer some questions," he said.

"We have good relations with the United States of America and I am sure that we will get to the bottom of it."

Just keeps getting more convoluted.

Razgovory

Can the US send him back to Belize?  If he committed a crime there, he should have to answer for it.  It would be awkward to have to investigate a crime in Belize and try him in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2012, 04:41:12 PM
Can the US send him back to Belize?  If he committed a crime there, he should have to answer for it.  It would be awkward to have to investigate a crime in Belize and try him in the US.

It's called extradition.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.