News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neighborly Notes

Started by garbon, November 19, 2012, 10:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Just last week the following sign popped up at the base of the stairwell in my building.

I read it and went, hmm, sounds like whomever this new crazy neighbor is - they were not made for apt living. Especially not an apt largely full of kids in college.

A few days later, someone tore the note down. :lol:

This morning said note was back up with an additional note.

I wonder how long these new notes will last - and whether or not this individual will break their lease.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

It seems a bit odd to be complaining about things like a bathroom fan and "walking wrong" in high heels. (How does one walk wrong in high heels?)

I give her (I'm guessing by the tone that it's a woman) about a month before she's looking for a new place. Most likely on the top floor of a three-floor walk-up.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 10:17:15 AM
I'm guessing by the tone that it's a woman

The handwriting looks like a woman to me as well.

If she needs this sort of quiet to sleep maybe she shouldn't live in NYC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

You should put up an advertisement for one of those white noise fans, garbon. :D As a neighborly gesture.

Habbaku

Why doesn't she just get some noise-reducing headphones?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 10:32:05 AM
You should put up an advertisement for one of those white noise fans, garbon. :D As a neighborly gesture.

:D

The one point I will give her/him is that there is a girl who likes to sing opera every once in a while when she enters the building. That's about the only thing that is a bit beyond the pale - but then again, that's apartment living.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 10:38:20 AM

The one point I will give her/him is that there is a girl who likes to sing opera every once in a while when she enters the building. That's about the only thing that is a bit beyond the pale - but then again, that's apartment living.

I would think that "apartment living" is NOT singing opera on the stairs, and singing opera on the stairs of an apartment is called "being an asshole"

garbon

True and neighbors will yell at said person but that kind of stuff happens.

dps

Quote from: Tamas on November 19, 2012, 10:46:11 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 10:38:20 AM

I would think that "apartment living" is NOT singing opera on the stairs, and singing opera on the stairs of an apartment is called "being an asshole"

Meh.  It it's at 3 in the morning, yeah, but at, say, 5 in the afternoon, nah.

But at least if someone is doing that at 3 in the morning, it's a legit complaint.  Some of the stuff in that note is bizarre.  Like the bathroom exhaust fans bit.  The bathroom exhaust fans lead to other people's apartment?  I'd be more concerned about the smell than the sound, but that's like a design flaw, not a problem with the other tenants' behaviour.

Razgovory

Stop walking wrong in high heels garbon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2012, 11:03:21 AM

I'm still scratching my head over that. How does one walk "wrong" in high heels?? :blink:

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 11:11:14 AM
I'm still scratching my head over that. How does one walk "wrong" in high heels?? :blink:

Maybe people keep falling over :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

They are on your feet touching the ground instead of in your hands not making any noise.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Well, I've seen girls walking around in manners were it looks like the heels are going to snap - but yeah I don't know what that has to do with noise volume.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 19, 2012, 11:13:24 AM

They are on your feet touching the ground instead of in your hands not making any noise.

I could see that being a possibility but then that's not really true.