Started by garbon, November 19, 2012, 09:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 10:21:54 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 10:19:05 AM

The death toll from Thanksgiving is far higher!  :ph34r:

:mellow:

Clever. *golf clap* Oh so clever.

The question from my perspective, garbon, is what will happen, if anything? Obviously (to most), it's a shitty situation, but no one is going to hold anyone accountable when these movies bring so much money in to the country. And I can't see Peter Jackson really giving too rats' asses over it.
Cochroaches and spiders have better protection than most human workers in the US.  I don't think other countries should be held to that standard.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 03:14:20 PM
QuoteFor the record, I'm not in tears over these animals. I think it's a waste, and yeah, I think it's pretty shitty that it happened. I also think that given who was involved, that nothing will end up happening about it, which is, to me, what really makes it newsworthy. I don't really care if you agree, regardless of how much you keep wanting to ram your opinion on it down my throat.
[Emphasis added]

You are wrong and evidently have not actually read the article before emoting - no surprise there. In actual fact, remedial steps were taken. Which is an additional reason why this is not news.

From the article in the OP:

QuoteThe American Humane Association said in its report on "An Unexpected Journey" that it investigated the farm at the production company's request. Dravitzki said the company contacted the AHA after Smythe alleged mistreatment of animals.

Mark Stubis, an association spokesman, said it investigated the farm in August 2011, months after the first deaths.

"We made safety recommendations to the animals' living areas. The production company followed our recommendations and upgraded fence and farm housing, among other things," the group said.

Dravitzki said the company had already made many of the recommended changes by the time the AHA made them.

In short, you are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts.

I did read the article, and I wasn't making up my own facts. With the death of 30 animals, imo, citations should have been levied, and I think if it were anyone else, they would have. The changes were made after several people told them that the situation was dangerous for the animals, and in fact, quit their jobs rather than be involved in the organization.

As I said, you don't agree, and that's fine. I don't particularly care.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 03:23:41 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 03:14:20 PM
Face it Meri - you flew off the handle and acted all huffy and sanctimonious. Over nothing. But please do continue. In fact, why not call Berkut out while you are at it?

*sighs* You really do think far too highly of yourself. You read what you wanted to read into what I posted. Yeah, the production company should have handled it far better, and yeah, they should be held responsible for the animals' deaths. I don't think that the senseless death of 30 animals is something to shrug off. Nonetheless, I also don't expect anything to come of it. I pointed out that if it happened around here, the authorities would be called in and likely tickets would be written.  I said - repeatedly - that I thought it was a shitty situation but that I didn't expect anything to come of it because of who was involved and where it took place. How that's huffy and sanctimonious is beyond me, but hey, you read it in whatever way you feel like.

As for Berk, I'd already made it clear that I disagreed with you on the topic. Why belabor it by saying the same to Berk? If he cared about my opinion, which I doubt he does, he would have commented to me directly when I disagreed with you. He didn't, so I assume he couldn't care less what I think on the topic. Why bother at that point?

Once again, you are simply wrong on the facts, and at this point you are being willfully obtuse in not acknowledging that remedial measures *were* in fact taken - as I pointed out (and you ignored).

So, by your own stated criteria of what makes this story "newsworthy", it isn't newsworthy.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2012, 03:30:13 PM
Cochroaches and spiders have better protection than most human workers in the US.  I don't think other countries should be held to that standard.

Okay, Quebec.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2012, 03:13:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 03:12:52 PMLOL KISS OF DEATH

:huh:

I guess I have to spell it out for you mooks :rolleyes:

Seedy complimenting you in a thread about supposed animal abuse is a sign that you're on the wrong side.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 03:31:52 PM

Once again, you are simply wrong on the facts, and at this point you are being willfully obtuse in not acknowledging that remedial measures *were* in fact taken - as I pointed out (and you ignored).

So, by your own stated criteria of what makes this story "newsworthy", it isn't newsworthy.  :hmm:

:lol:

You edited your post while I was writing my response, and somehow that's me being willfully obtuse.  :rolleyes:

Whatever, Malthus. I say that it's worth a news story. Don't care if you agree or not.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 02:45:09 PM
I'm merely saying this is not news. And it isn't.

That is pretty damn callous.  When did you stop giving a shit about animals.  You've changed man.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 03:35:29 PM
Seedy complimenting you in a thread about supposed animal abuse is a sign that you're on the wrong side.

That Puma on your avatar's team logo?  That's the only one your children's children will ever know.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 03:43:25 PM

That Puma on your avatar's team logo?  That's the only one your children's children will ever know.

Cool.  Cuz I'd rather not have one of them attacking my kids.

But funny you should say that-- they were both at the zoo down there a couple days ago and saw, among other things, pumas. 

Side-note about Argentine zoo exhibits, and I know this only sounds funny from an American perspective, but they include white-tailed deer and gray squirrels :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

That's what civilization is.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

So how's this for news?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/kitten-lincoln-statue-rescue-145728309.html

QuoteKitten trapped inside Lincoln statue for three days rescued

In a story so heartwarming it was practically made for Thanksgiving week, a stray kitten that became stuck inside a statue of Abraham Lincoln for three days has been rescued.

Authorities in Clermont, Fla., say they aren't sure how the 3-week-old kitten, whose muffled meows could be heard by staffers at the Presidents Hall of Fame, managed to get into the replica Lincoln Memorial.

"I don't see how a little kitten could have gotten up there," Humane Society spokesman Daniel Davis told WKMG-TV in Orlando. "It can't crawl up there."

Local fire officials were forced to drill a hole at the top of the statue, and a firefighter was lowered inside to retrieve the tiny feline.

The kitten—fittingly named Abe—was treated for dehydration but is expected to make a full recovery, according to WKMG. And when he does, John Zweifel, the museum's curator, is hoping to adopt him.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

That's also not news.  Those are stories that they replaced the news with so that people who can't think (primarily women, but also gays and other mental defectives) would tune in.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 03:51:36 PM

Then go shoot one of your neighbors instead.  They're a bigger threat to your kids than an almost extinct species of cat.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 03:59:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 03:51:36 PM

Then go shoot one of your neighbors instead.  They're a bigger threat to your kids than an almost extinct species of cat.

Wiki shows them listed in Least Concern. :unsure:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 04:02:21 PM
Wiki shows them listed in Least Concern. :unsure:

Depends on the species.  Just ask the American Eastern Cougar.  Oh, wait.  You can't.  There aren't any anymore.