And we're back!

Main Menu

Cupcakes, Why ?

Started by mongers, November 18, 2012, 04:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

So what's with the modern trend to having cupcakes with everything:

And now even shops just selling the things. :blink:

Are there not other sweet bakery products about, or is it simply the case of a low cost product (simple sponge and sugar topping) being sold at a high margin.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Strix

I think because of it's versatility. It has some many more options to it than a cookie or brownie without getting unwieldy like a cake or loaf. Also, allows someone to feel superior to someone eating a cookie or brownie.

Cheesecake was the thing not so long ago but cupcakes are cheaper and not as fattening.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

mongers

Quote from: Strix on November 18, 2012, 05:31:33 PM
I think because of it's versatility. It has some many more options to it than a cookie or brownie without getting unwieldy like a cake or loaf. Also, allows someone to feel superior to someone eating a cookie or brownie.

Cheesecake was the thing not so long ago but cupcakes are cheaper and not as fattening.

Ah, that's what I don't get, possibly because over here they're know as fairy cakes.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&hs=Wyu&rls=en&channel=suggest&tbm=isch&q=fairy+cakes&revid=334544246&sa=X&ei=t2-pUL-VLMexhAetzYHABQ&ved=0CEEQ1QIoAA&biw=871&bih=486

sbr

Who in the world would feel inferior to anything while eating a brownie?  Brownies are at the top of the handheld, baked sweets hierarchy*.

Did I really spell that right?  I just threw some letters up expecting it to be wrong and use auto-correct.

Ed Anger

This thread is josq-like.

Not a good thing Mongers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

The question you should be asking is "Cupcakes, Why not?"
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Indeed.  Go get drunk and then post about how supper is dinner but lunch too.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on November 18, 2012, 07:36:19 PM

The issue isn't what these are called in different countries, it's that they're an inferior baked product; as was pointed out crap compared to things like brownies.

I just don't get the love for overpriced, sweet, inferior cakes.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on November 18, 2012, 07:36:19 PM

Is it a candy or a sweet?

PDH

Fuck it all, I am going to go get drunk and lie down in the street.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Don't worry, Mongers:  pretty soon the cupcakes will go away because of unions.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2012, 08:18:00 PM
Don't worry, Mongers:  pretty soon the cupcakes will go away because of unions.

Damn UAW.

Tonitrus

garbon

You've just now caught on about shops selling the things? :yawn:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2012, 09:33:23 PM
You've just now caught on about shops selling the things? :yawn:

It's yet another positive of living in rural England.  :bowler: