NYT: Obama to consider preventative detention plan

Started by Weatherman, May 21, 2009, 09:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2009, 11:44:46 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Democratic Senators passing a bill that would prevent the Gitmo prisoners from being moved to US soil?  BBC is going on and on about this but I haven't seen anything in domestic media.

T.H.E.Y. don't want you to know. Yet. :tinfoil:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2009, 10:08:04 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2009, 10:06:31 AM
Well, of course *you* think so, given your fetish for Arab linguists :P

Staying in Iraq gives them job security!
Unless they are gay. In which case they will be discharged and then captured by the lovely people we have liberated, have their asses glued, given laxatives and die in agony.

jimmy olsen

Has anyone heard anything about Democratic Senators passing a bill that would prevent the Gitmo prisoners from being moved to US soil?  BBC is going on and on about this but I haven't seen anything in domestic media.
They refused to appropriate $80 million dollars to shut Gitmo down, but I haven't heard that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

I haven't heard of a bill, but I've heard a lot of Congress members, both parties, complaining that they won't allow Gitmo detainees on US soil, in US prisons. Harry Reid for one, who I'm sure was among the most rabid against the Bush admin over Gitmo issues. Now the shoe is on the other foot, and he has to make decisions. No longer does he have the option of just bashing the other political party.

As for the detainees in US prisons. We have max and super max prisons, which contain other terrorists and very dangerous criminals of all types. I wouldn't think it's a problem to house the detainees in those. I guess there would be the other issue of legal/court proceedings with them on US soil, debates over military tribunals or such, which are really the larger issue anyway.

KRonn

President Obama has about come full circle on the Gitmo detainees. He still wants to close Gitmo, but he's been adopting more like Bush admin policies on dealing with the detainees. I give him credit for it, tough issue which he's trying to do the right thing on. And it seems maybe that some of the Bush policies weren't so bad after all, once you get past the partisan politics, which got nasty. Others of the Bush policies over Gitmo need to be reworked, like the manner of doing tribunals properly which Pres Obama is reinstating. However, this does still go against some human rights groups. But if the Obama admin uses similar policies, reworked to help ensure legitimacy, then maybe we can finally begin to have consensus politically with both parties, and start move past some of these issues which have caused so much trouble.

Faeelin

Quote from: KRonn on May 22, 2009, 07:59:40 AM
As for the detainees in US prisons. We have max and super max prisons, which contain other terrorists and very dangerous criminals of all types. I wouldn't think it's a problem to house the detainees in those. I guess there would be the other issue of legal/court proceedings with them on US soil, debates over military tribunals or such, which are really the larger issue anyway.

It is an odd discussion. America is very good at sticking large numbers of people away for years at a time. Why are terrorists supervillains who can't be placed on American soil?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2009, 12:50:44 AM
Unless they are gay. In which case they will be discharged and then captured by the lovely people we have liberated, have their asses glued, given laxatives and die in agony.

....what?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."