NYT: Obama to consider preventative detention plan

Started by Weatherman, May 21, 2009, 09:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2009, 09:59:34 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2009, 09:53:57 AM
like his clever plan to not withdraw from Iraq.

You have to admit that was pretty brilliant.
His plan is to agree with SOFA.  I said before the election that I don't think there would be much difference between an Obama or a McCain policy on Iraq - after the SOFA was signed.  I think it's wrong but there you are.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on May 21, 2009, 09:44:24 AM
When Bush "beat" Gore, he ran with a pledge to reopen Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House. Never happened--in fact security was stepped up. The Secret Service put together a presentation to show how serious the terrorist threat was, and it convinced him.

Speaking of pledges, wtf is up with Obama peeing all over his pledge to post bills online for 5 days before he signs them?  That was one of the things I actually liked to hear during his campaign.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2009, 09:59:34 AM
You have to admit that was pretty brilliant.

Well, of course *you* think so, given your fetish for Arab linguists :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2009, 10:06:31 AM
Well, of course *you* think so, given your fetish for Arab linguists :P

Staying in Iraq gives them job security!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2009, 10:04:49 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 21, 2009, 09:44:24 AM
When Bush "beat" Gore, he ran with a pledge to reopen Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House. Never happened--in fact security was stepped up. The Secret Service put together a presentation to show how serious the terrorist threat was, and it convinced him.

Speaking of pledges, wtf is up with Obama peeing all over his pledge to post bills online for 5 days before he signs them?  That was one of the things I actually liked to hear during his campaign.

Probably the same thing that happened to his pledge to open up the reconciliation process to the public. Apparently it isn't even opened to republicans.

Not that there is much he could do to enact that promise anyway, as he isn't a congressional leader.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Aren't bills approved by Congress supposed to be public anyway?  Or is this something else?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

I have to say there is something comforting about Obama's hesitance to rock the boat.

It is just too bad it comes at a time when the boat appears to be headed off a waterfall...but what can you do?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2009, 10:10:12 AM
Aren't bills approved by Congress supposed to be public anyway?  Or is this something else?

I'm not sure Congress posts the entire bill online.  The key thing IMO is the 5 day wait.

I would think a lack of transparency would trouble a Liberal like yourself, particularly when Obama pledged it over & over during the campaign.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2009, 10:38:11 AM
I'm not sure Congress posts the entire bill online.  The key thing IMO is the 5 day wait.

I would think a lack of transparency would trouble a Liberal like yourself, particularly when Obama pledged it over & over during the campaign.

I was not trying to justify anything I was trying to understand what you are getting at.

Of course I feel that everything the government does should be public so long as there is not a national security risk.

Ed Anger

Olbermann's tiny heart just broke a little more. Good.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Hansmeister

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2009, 10:10:12 AM

Obama had promised to post them online for 5 days before signing them, so that the public had a chance to read it and respond before they become law.  Good idea, but Obama lied about it just like everything else.  The democrats don't even let Congress read the bills anymore before they get voted uon.

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 21, 2009, 10:43:15 AM
Olbermann's tiny heart just broke a little more. Good.

His heart is tiny, but it dwarfs his brain.  His ego, on the other hand, is so massive it dwarfs the sun.

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2009, 09:49:31 AM
On the issue I don't actually object.  I think as long as there's a relatively low limit and reasonable oversight - ie. not the 42 days we have or the 90 days the government wants - then this can be okay.

Where are you getting this 42 or 90 day stuff from?  The linked article doesn't mention that, and from other reports I've heard of this meeeting, my impression was that Obama was considering detaining  some terrorist suspects for life without trial.

Hansmeister

Quote from: dps on May 21, 2009, 09:15:05 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2009, 09:49:31 AM
On the issue I don't actually object.  I think as long as there's a relatively low limit and reasonable oversight - ie. not the 42 days we have or the 90 days the government wants - then this can be okay.

Where are you getting this 42 or 90 day stuff from?  The linked article doesn't mention that, and from other reports I've heard of this meeeting, my impression was that Obama was considering detaining  some terrorist suspects for life without trial.

I think he's refering to the debate that the UK had on that issue a few years ago.

Admiral Yi

Has anyone heard anything about Democratic Senators passing a bill that would prevent the Gitmo prisoners from being moved to US soil?  BBC is going on and on about this but I haven't seen anything in domestic media.