News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gresham College Lectures

Started by Sheilbh, November 16, 2012, 09:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I've only just discovered these and thought some of you may be interested (possibly Valmy, who's similar sites).  They were set up in 1597 to provide free public lectures in the City.  There's professors who are paid £50 a year and have to give six lectures a year, they're in these subjects:
Astronomy
Divinity
Mathematics
Law
Music
Medicine
Rhetoric
There's some series which look really interesting (Vernon Bogdanor's currently doing one on important non-PMs in the 20th century: Bevan, MacLeod, Joseph, Benn, Jenkins and Powell :mmm:) but lots of little oddities too.  Best of all, from my browsing this evening, it looks like all of them (limited selection back to 1986) have at least text, video or audio of the lecture.  Anyway someone may enjoy it:
http://www.gresham.ac.uk/
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 16, 2012, 09:16:41 PM
I've only just discovered these and thought some of you may be interested (possibly Valmy, who's similar sites). 

Didn't realize that Valmy was a site, much less multiple sites.  :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 16, 2012, 09:16:41 PM
There's professors who are paid £50 a year and have to give six lectures a year,

£8 a lecture, I bet PDH makes more than that.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Not much more.  I am only an adjunct.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM