The big picture - Countries' GDP compared to US states

Started by merithyn, November 16, 2012, 04:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: mongers on November 16, 2012, 06:10:40 PM
It's not going to be too long before someone in China starts mapping national GDPs to Chinese provinces.  :D

Tonitrus

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 16, 2012, 06:30:10 PM
Maybe it's measuring per-capita GDP?

No because I think the average Turk isn't as well off as someone living in Washington state. Other obvious ones New Hampshire= Bangladesh ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Ah, to have all the wealth of Ireland divided between five times the population.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

The Economist did this last year:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/01/comparing_us_states_countries

Some seem weirdly accurate.  Russia and Texas, or Italy and California for example :lol:

Edit:  And by population Texas is Saudi Arabia :o
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive