News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Berkut on January 08, 2010, 03:10:04 PM
And I disagree that we don't really know much about how combat works in ST - we know plenty. Certainly enough to know that ships don't "heal" one another for example, or that particular ships are designed to "hold aggro" and get beat on while other ships dish out damage.
In The Original series episode Mudd's Women, the Enterprise expends it's dylithium crystals in an effort to extend it's deflector shield to Mudd's ship in the beginning of the episode to keep it safe in an asteroid belt while it's crew are beamed aboard the Enterprise.  While not healing, this seems like something a healer type class would be able to do to give another ship longevity/hitpoints/protection at the cost of it's own power/mana/equivalent in short bursts and stay within established continuity.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2010, 07:25:14 PM
So grumbler, any chance you're going to join us in Star Trek Online?
I would have played the free bit, just to hang with you guys online for a few days, but I have no real interest in MMORPGs in general (I played LOTRO when it was free, but stopped when that ran out).  Nothing against this game or any other; the genre just isn't my cup of tea.

Thanks for asking, though.  I will follow this with interest,* like the others.

*Interest in you guys, not the games.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on January 08, 2010, 07:34:20 PM
In The Original series episode Mudd's Women, the Enterprise expends it's dylithium crystals in an effort to extend it's deflector shield to Mudd's ship in the beginning of the episode to keep it safe in an asteroid belt while it's crew are beamed aboard the Enterprise.  While not healing, this seems like something a healer type class would be able to do to give another ship longevity/hitpoints/protection at the cost of it's own power/mana/equivalent in short bursts and stay within established continuity.
Okay, you got me:  was this brilliant deliberate satire, or the nerdiest thing written in the thread so far?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Just finished downloading the client.  :cool:

Woohoo, a login screen!  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on January 09, 2010, 07:40:23 AM
Quote from: Judas Iscariot on January 08, 2010, 07:34:20 PM
Okay, you got me:  was this brilliant deliberate satire, or the nerdiest thing written in the thread so far?
:lol:  It's not my fault!  I've been watching The Original Series for the first time the past few days via Netflix.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jaron

I don't usually do this but I agree with Berkut. Using the tank/dps/healer roles for starships is very very silly.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on January 08, 2010, 07:17:21 PM
So what was added in the 1975 technical manual was used in the 1984 movie? Okay.  What is "not quite true" about my statement, then?  I admit that I am not up to date enough in my geekness to state that the Centaur was rated as a frigate, but I seem to recall that the concept of calling Star Fleet ship battlescruisers and dreadnoughts and stuff was added by the Tech Manual, in 1975.

I'm not arguing about where it originated; I'm just saying that yes, Constitution-class ships were called Battlecruisers in a fully canon source.  That's all.  IIRC, the Centaur's classification came from the DS9TM, so you can pick or choose whether you want it to be canon or not.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Katmai, et al.

Start a separate thread and post your initial impressions that don't violate the NDA.  I gots to know the down low about this.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2010, 09:42:20 AM
Katmai, et al.

Start a separate thread and post your initial impressions that don't violate the NDA.  I gots to know the down low about this.

I'll do that after the EUIII MP today, I've only been putzing around the closed beta since Wed , and they have added about 3 gigs worth of stuff in that short time :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Grey Fox

Fuck NDAs, If I played I'd tell ya everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on January 10, 2010, 10:51:59 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2010, 09:42:20 AM
Katmai, et al.

I'll do that after the EUIII MP today, I've only been putzing around the closed beta since Wed , and they have added about 3 gigs worth of stuff in that short time :P

:contract:

Tuesday can't get here soon enough.  I'm embarrassed how jazzed I am for the game.   :blush:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

For those of us that downloaded the fileplanet closed beta version it's not at all clear if we can just patch that version, or if we need to reinstall the whole installer.

For what it's worth, I do not expect to actually be playing this on Tuesday.  It sounds like the only access to be able to download/patch the game will start on Tuesday, so completing it will probably take a day or two.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Sorry I haven't played at all today, between playing the MP game and them dealing with server restarts as they keep updating content/quashing bugs.

The beta is suppose to start at 10am your time Beeb.

I do know in this weekend's build they bumped up default races to about 12 or so for Federation. They added so much that the devs were suggesting folks should re-roll even.
The biggest complaints I'm hearing (besides bugs in missions) is what is the point? Where is the endgame? As it doesn't have raids like most MMOs

I am looking forward to playing with you guys and hitting lvl 11 so i can see the 2nd tier of ships myself :D

I think the game will be a bit wonky at start, but  willing to give Cryptic the chance to work on it.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2010, 08:42:37 PM
For those of us that downloaded the fileplanet closed beta version it's not at all clear if we can just patch that version, or if we need to reinstall the whole installer.

For what it's worth, I do not expect to actually be playing this on Tuesday.  It sounds like the only access to be able to download/patch the game will start on Tuesday, so completing it will probably take a day or two.

You can use that version just fine. I'd expect them to release whatever patch for open beta Mon night late (around 11pm-1am Pacific time)