News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Question the first:

What is your opinion on digital downloads?  Do you prefer to have a physical media?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

With an MMO, having a physical media serves no real purposes after a couple of months of the game & it's update.

Think about it, who would reinstall Wow from scratch instead of downloading the client from blizz?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Steam has finally listed STO & it's pre-order bonus is a personal Shield.

Chromodynamic Armor: This armor is based on technology brought back from the Delta Quadrant by U.S.S. Voyager and is personal body armor that improves the damage and critical hits of your energy weapons. The following are the bonus attributes for the armor:

Stats : 6.1% Physical Resistance
6.1% Kinetic Resistance
2.6% Energy Resistance
+15% Critical Damage
+5% Critical Chance
+3% Energy Damage
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 04, 2010, 07:59:38 PM
With an MMO, having a physical media serves no real purposes after a couple of months of the game & it's update.

Think about it, who would reinstall Wow from scratch instead of downloading the client from blizz?

Yes.  Bandwidth is precious...

katmai

Okay there are three versions for sale.

1st is vanilla version. the following is list of places and their pre-order perks
Country Retailer Exclusive Features
United States GameStop[3] * Pre-Order Perk, Constitution Class Starship

United States Amazon[4] * Pre-Order Perk, Borg Bridge Officer

United States Best Buy[5]    * Pre-Order Perk, Tribble Pet (Federation) or Targ Pet (Klingon)

United States Steam[6]    * Pre-Order Perk, Chromodynamic Armor

United States Walmart[7] Pre-Order Perk, Additional Skill Points

United States Target[8]    * Pre-Order Perk, TR-116 Ground Rifle

United States Direct2Drive[9]    * Pre-Order Perk, Multi-Spatial Personal Shield

2nd is Collectors Edition which comes with DS9 uniforms, the cheesy communicator pin.

So you can order the CE from those vendors and get whatever their bonuses and the CE material

Lastly is the Digital Deluxe Editon which has all they stuff that Syt mentioned, once again depending where you ordered that from you get the vendors bonus as well.
Current vendors with DDE is D2D, Atari and Gamestop, Steam hasn't started selling it yet.*

* they literally just put that up for sale.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

I dunno - I'd worry about DLing from Steam.  It might force you to log on to BOTH Steam AND the MMO in order to play.

If I was going to digital download I'd get the DDE (digital deluxe edition) from Direct2Drive.  Katmai, are you sure Gamestop does digital downloads?

katmai

As for me I bought the DDE from D2D, and Collector's Edition from Amazon. and trying to resist the urge to pick up vanilla from Gamestop.

Barrister

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2010, 08:03:03 PM
I dunno - I'd worry about DLing from Steam.  It might force you to log on to BOTH Steam AND the MMO in order to play.
Katmai, are you sure Gamestop does digital downloads?

Yes I am. It was an option when i was looking as still contemplating ordering from them for Bonus of that ship. Yes I know it won't be useful after first  20hours of gameplay as the dev's put it, but it's the original Enterprise dammit!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on January 04, 2010, 08:05:50 PM
but it's the original Enterprise dammit!

No shit.  If anything, you're cruising in style.

CountDeMoney

OK, I'm going to be silly as shit.  I want the TOS uniforms, the original Constellation class, and the Borg Officer.  I will name him Mono.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2010, 07:54:22 PM
Question the first:

What is your opinion on digital downloads?  Do you prefer to have a physical media?

Never had a problem with DDs, except from those faggots at Paradox.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 04, 2010, 08:27:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2010, 07:54:22 PM
Question the first:

Never had a problem with DDs, except from those faggots at Paradox.

Then buy the digital deluxe (has TOS unis) from Gamestop (has original Constellation).

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2010, 09:01:04 PM

Then buy the digital deluxe (has TOS unis) from Gamestop (has original Constellation).

I'd hold off on that, as too many conflicting reports from people who have asked if the Connie comes with the DDE from gamestop.

Barrister

Ah.

Ultimately Count, I decided what I wanted most (TOS uniforms) and ordered something that gave me that.  Unlike Moneybags Katmai I only purchased the game once.