News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

Quote from: katmai on January 12, 2010, 02:32:06 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 02:31:00 AM
Err... when I downloaded from fileplanet, the downloader was very small, under 50 MB.  It then forced a download from Cryptic of 8gb+, which took two days.

Huh both of the downloads i'm doing from fileplanet have been 7+ gigs

It *says* 100 kb/sec, but its really much slower.  I've been downloading for 45 minutes as of right now and I have completed 103 megabytes.  :cry:

Edit:  the reason it is so much slower is because it goes in bursts.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

katmai

Hey alci when you dl'd the client and start game you'll have 172mb dl'd to get too.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Grey Fox

Downloading is done & installed. All ready to go, well except that ~150 mb patch. Couldn't log in, apparently their are doing maintenance.

Damn, Tentonhammer, me & my inability to wait.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadBurgerMaker

I am: downloading the beta client.  Beeb made it too easy with that link (thanks for the link).  :P

Tamas

NOOOOO! I went home for lunch and forgot to launch the client download!!!!!!!! NOOOO!!!

Grey Fox

Tamas

Can't :( Won't be playing this before Tuesday night by the looks of it :(

DisturbedPervert

Tamas

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2010, 04:58:18 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 11, 2010, 04:49:03 PM
Then they are lieying, this is not an Open beta. I don't see how they are going to properly test their systems without handing out free keys. There probably isn't enough pre-orders.

Isnt there a way to stress test their system by adjusting for the amount of players they do have?  In other words, if the only way they can properly test before launch is to have all the players on that will be playing at launch then isnt it impossible to test before launch?

GF is talking out his ass - an "open" beta does not mean anyone can test, it means the beta is not covered by an NDA. They are not under any obligation to give everyone total access at all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Fair Point but it's still suck.

Anyway, there's free keys available.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2010, 09:08:56 AM
GF is talking out his ass - an "open" beta does not mean anyone can test, it means the beta is not covered by an NDA. They are not under any obligation to give everyone total access at all.
I never knew that.  I assumed it meant what GF assumed it meant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DisturbedPervert

Every use of open beta I've seen means open to most anyone or at least a very large group.  They typically do drop the nda at the start of open beta, it'd be impossible to keep anyway.  You could have a closed beta with no nda though, Warhammer online lifted the nda during their closed beta.

Berkut

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 12, 2010, 10:15:48 AM
Every use of open beta I've seen means open to most anyone or at least a very large group.  They typically do drop the nda at the start of open beta, it'd be impossible to keep anyway.  You could have a closed beta with no nda though, Warhammer online lifted the nda during their closed beta.

Open means it is open - the people in the beta are not under any NDA, and it is usually a larger group not specifically selected for by the developers. Obviously it does not mean that everyone and anyone gets to play - they are still going to limit the numbers in SOME manner. Sometimes that is by requiring people to register, or download from fileplanet, or whatever.

Sometimes it may mean everyone who wants to play can - that is certainly an open beta as well (obviously if you are letting a large number of people play, it is open, since you are not expecting them all to abide by an NDA).

But it doesn't mean that you have to let anyone get a key. In other words, yeah, if you do let everyone get a key, then it is certainly an open beta, but that does not mean all open betas include giving away keys to anyone.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned