The Benghazi Bullshit Thread: because we can't have enough

Started by CountDeMoney, November 15, 2012, 06:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2012, 12:59:01 PM
Sheilbh agreed with one question the WSJ posited (though not its many others :D).

That's because it was mostly a bullshit op-ed piece.  ZOMG TOTAL FAILURE
Whatever.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 15, 2012, 01:25:27 PM
Sheilbh agreed with one question the WSJ posited (though not its many others :D).

That's because it was mostly a bullshit op-ed piece.  ZOMG TOTAL FAILURE
Whatever.

:huh:

I was being honest and making it not sound like he agreed with the op-ed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2012, 01:19:59 PM
It's relevant to why it is still an issue. :mellow:

No, it's not garbon.  The amount of media coverage is not a good indicator of relevance.  The Republicans are going all Vince Foster/Whitewater on this.  They desperately want this to be important, but there just isn't much there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Because the media has put out there that there are questions that still need answering. Sheilbh agreed with one question the WSJ posited (though not its many others :D).
I think there are many questions - not least because it's classified - and it's justifiable for Congress or the media to look into it.  What I don't get is why it's a scandal or is supposed to reflect badly on the US government.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2012, 01:56:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2012, 01:19:59 PM
It's relevant to why it is still an issue. :mellow:

No, it's not garbon.  The amount of media coverage is not a good indicator of relevance.  The Republicans are going all Vince Foster/Whitewater on this.  They desperately want this to be important, but there just isn't much there.

Joan's question was "why is this still an issue". It is still an issue because the media and elected Republicans are all over this.  That doesn't mean that it should be a relevant issue - but simply that mentioning media and Repubs are relevant to why it is still an issue. :contract:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2012, 02:09:38 PM
What I don't get is why it's a scandal or is supposed to reflect badly on the US government.

It's a tempest in a teacup, and the GOP can't stand to see the Democrats do anything regarding foreign policy, which has traditionally been "theirs". 

Remember, this is the same party that thought Kosovo was going to be the "greatest foreign policy failure of all time", too.

The Minsky Moment

It's fine for the Congress to hold hearings; the violent death of a US ambassador overseas is an appropriate subject for such inquiry.

It's also fine that if Rice is appointed by the President to a cabinet level position, that the Senate ask questions about comments she made to the press as part of her job, and treat those answers as having some potential relevance to their overall evaluation of her suitability.

What is not fine, and kind of outrageous, is for a Senator to prejudge the matter, to declare Rice verboten before a single hearing has been held, and to presume to lay down ultimatums to the President of the United States concerning whom he should be permitted to appoint.  McCain of all people should know better.

Lindsay Graham OTOH I would not expect to know better, which explains why he goes even further and makes profoundly disrespectful statements about the President, one week after the President was returned to office by a majority of the voters following a campaign in which the general public rejected the premise behind these attacks on the President's conduct.

God* only knows what would happen if Obama actually did something worthy of serious criticism.

*Or Richard Dawkins
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2012, 02:24:05 PM
It's fine for the Congress to hold hearings; the violent death of a US ambassador overseas is an appropriate subject for such inquiry.

And they'll come to the same conclusion they always come to when it comes to unfortunate events like this:  that CIA doesn't talk to State who doesn't talk to DOD who doesn't talk to CIA.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 15, 2012, 02:27:42 PM

And they'll come to the same conclusion they always come to when it comes to unfortunate events like this:  that CIA doesn't talk to State who doesn't talk to DOD who doesn't talk to CIA.

And the same solution: create yet another agency to coordinate!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

following a campaign in which the general public rejected the premise behind these attacks on the President's conduct.

What are you basing that on?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2012, 02:29:29 PM

I suspect the exit polls which had concerns about foreign policy being tiny.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 15, 2012, 02:36:01 PM

5% called it their most important issue.  They broke for Obama 56-33%.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 15, 2012, 02:36:01 PM

Gotcha, I thought Joan was talking about public opinion on Obama's handling on Benghazi specifically. I've no idea what public opinion is on that.