News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ebook reader

Started by Vricklund, November 14, 2012, 04:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vricklund

What have you heard? Anyone have one? Is it any good?

I've been oogling the electronic ink pads for a while and I have a few contenders...

Kindle paperwhite: new, looks nice, seems to be jailbroken already but in early development, 1024x768px
Sony PRS-T1: been around for a while, easy to root and run android, small and light, cheapest of the bunch, 800x600px
Iriver Story HD Wifi: always liked iriver products in the past, no touchscreen, can handle several ebook formats, 1024x768px

I've done my homework and the whole market of ebooks and readers seems hopelessly proprietary. Outside the US, where kindle seems to rule supreme, there's a need to separate readers and publishing if ebooks are to have a breakthrough and that's basicly the reason I want it hacked/jailbreaked/rooted so that I'm not hemmed in by some artificial constraints.

I'm not interested in a nexus/ipad/other lcd device, I have my laptop/phone for that.

mongers

I have a Kindle 3, like it and often are competitive on price for ebooks, but as time has passed I've grown to dislike the walled garden they're building.

So consequently I'm think of getting one that is 'open' and as a bonus I can use the local library download catalogue.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Lucidor

I like my Sony PRS350, but I've been watching the Paperwhite. I need an intermediary to ship it from somewhere to Sweden, though, since Amazon has deemed us not worthy.

Calibre is your friend. Good conversion from Kindle to elib, so I imagine the other way around is working too.

Vricklund

Do you guys use it? One can get alot of paperbacks for the price of an ebook reader after all.

Josquius

Had a kindle, it was good, then the screen died. Apparently happens to a lot of other people too.

QuoteDo you guys use it? One can get alot of paperbacks for the price of an ebook reader after all.
Ebook.....price?
██████
██████
██████

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on November 17, 2012, 02:16:13 AM
Had a kindle, it was good, then the screen died. Apparently happens to a lot of other people too.

QuoteDo you guys use it? One can get alot of paperbacks for the price of an ebook reader after all.
Ebook.....price?

Read the words properly you pirate.

The Minsky Moment

I like the Paperwhite a lot.  Although the Nook with the light is nice as well.
The Amazon garden doesn't bother me but in any case, Kindle takes a bunch of other formats.  Except epub but there are plenty of workarounds as per lucidor's post above.  Not to mention a lot of free ebook sites have an .azw format download anyway.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Target is selling Nook Simple Touch for $49 . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

I got a Nook with reading light a couple of months ago and I've been pretty happy with it.

Vricklund

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 22, 2012, 11:19:24 PM
Unfortunately target doesn't ship to Sweden. However, it's under 500 swedish kroner so swedish customs law dictates that if someone were to gift it to me then it would be exempt from tax... hohoho anyone? ;)

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Grey Fox

You guys have any opinions on the kobos?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Vricklund on November 23, 2012, 07:52:52 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 22, 2012, 11:19:24 PM
Unfortunately target doesn't ship to Sweden. However, it's under 500 swedish kroner so swedish customs law dictates that if someone were to gift it to me then it would be exempt from tax... hohoho anyone? ;)

If I was in the US, I'd do it for you, but in Blighty I'm guessing the retail/onlines prices are pretty close to those in Scandinavia.

I'd also be interested in opinions on a reliable e-book reader
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

I didn't get out on Black Friday and thus didn't pick one up.
I would pay extra anyway for the light.  I find it to be a critical feature on an ereader.
--Joan Robinson