Fiscal Cliff MEGATHREAD: Wile E. Economy falls off, lands in cloud at bottom

Started by CountDeMoney, November 13, 2012, 10:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

How many people are really opposed to a tax increase for people making over a million dollars? From the latest WSJ Poll:

QuoteQ28 If the plan to avoid the fiscal cliff and reduce the deficit included an income tax rate increase for people who earn more than $250,000 per year would that be acceptable or unacceptable to you?*
Acceptable ................................................................................................76
Unacceptable ..............................................................................................22
Not sure ..................................................................................................2

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on December 21, 2012, 12:56:23 PM
How many people are really opposed to a tax increase for people making over a million dollars? From the latest WSJ Poll:

QuoteQ28 If the plan to avoid the fiscal cliff and reduce the deficit included an income tax rate increase for people who earn more than $250,000 per year would that be acceptable or unacceptable to you?*
Acceptable ................................................................................................76
Unacceptable ..............................................................................................22
Not sure ..................................................................................................2

Cool.  So do you have the breakdown by congressional district and campaign contributors?  Didn't think so-- TAKE A HIKE, KID :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 12:58:37 PM
Cool.  So do you have the breakdown by congressional district and campaign contributors?  Didn't think so-- TAKE A HIKE, KID :P

Obviously the perspective is being skewed by the moochers in blue districts.

I hate to break it to you, but Obama just won a national election campaigning on a platform of a mix of tax hikes and spending cuts. To pretend that most Americans don't agree with him more than the GOP is kinda silly.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 12:58:37 PM
Cool.  So do you have the breakdown by congressional district and campaign contributors? 

Good point.
And yet also a devastating one for the long-term viability of the US political system.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on December 21, 2012, 01:01:27 PM
Obviously the perspective is being skewed by the moochers in blue districts.

Moochers?  :huh:

QuoteI hate to break it to you, but Obama just won a national election campaigning on a platform of a mix of tax hikes and spending cuts. To pretend that most Americans don't agree with him more than the GOP is kinda silly.

There you go again.  I didn't say that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Serious question: what do you guys think the president means by having the rich pay their "fair share"?  The pre-Bush cut rates as he's pushing for right now, or do you think he has more tax hikes on his mind longer term?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on December 21, 2012, 01:01:27 PM
I hate to break it to you, but Obama just won a national election campaigning on a platform of a mix of tax hikes and spending cuts. To pretend that most Americans don't agree with him more than the GOP is kinda silly.

And all those guys voting against just won re-election, presumably while campaigning on not raising taxes. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 02:55:46 PM
Serious question: what do you guys think the president means by having the rich pay their "fair share"?  The pre-Bush cut rates as he's pushing for right now, or do you think he has more tax hikes on his mind longer term?

No.  He's stated since 2008 that returning to the Clinton-era rates would be just fine and dandy for the nation, just like they were back then when everybody prospered and plenty of millionaires were to be made. 
I don't think he has ever said more than that, and I see no reason to think he'd go beyond that.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 21, 2012, 03:02:00 PM
No.  He's stated since 2008 that returning to the Clinton-era rates would be just fine and dandy for the nation, just like they were back then when everybody prospered and plenty of millionaires were to be made. 
I don't think he has ever said more than that, and I see no reason to think he'd go beyond that.

Is he going to create another tech bubble to help re-create the Clinton years as well?  Anyway I'd be fine going back to Clinton-era tax rates if we went back to Clinton-era spending.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 03:06:17 PM

Is he going to create another tech bubble to help re-create the Clinton years as well?  Anyway I'd be fine going back to Clinton-era tax rates if we went back to Clinton-era spending.

This works in theory, but doesn't in reality. We have far more elderly and disabled now than we did then. It would be impossible to cover them under the same budget as Clinton pushed through without cutting the military more unless we plan to leave the elderly and disabled out in the cold.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 03:06:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 21, 2012, 03:02:00 PM

But that wouldn't get us anywhere because we weren't running a surplus back then, right?