Fiscal Cliff MEGATHREAD: Wile E. Economy falls off, lands in cloud at bottom

Started by CountDeMoney, November 13, 2012, 10:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2012, 08:10:13 PM
Social Security has its own dedicated tax, as does Medicare/Medicaid. 

Whether it "comes out of the general fund" or not is a bit of a semantic issue.

I hate to say it, but Yi's right on this one.  It's mainly paid by the Social Security Trust Fund, which is where the tax goes, separate from your federal income tax, but it's supplemented by the general fund (since 2010, when more started being paid out than being collected in social security taxes).

Actually, if we're going to take a token pound of flesh from the wealthy, I'd prefer to see it be the social security taxable salary cap removed- as of right now, it's $110,000.  So Joe Schmo who's been grinding along as a senior network engineer for ten years is paying at least the same amount of social security tax as Mitt Romney or even Warren Buffett.
Experience bij!

sbr

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 13, 2012, 03:16:13 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2012, 08:10:13 PM
Social Security has its own dedicated tax, as does Medicare/Medicaid. 

Whether it "comes out of the general fund" or not is a bit of a semantic issue.

I hate to say it, but Yi's right on this one.  It's mainly paid by the Social Security Trust Fund, which is where the tax goes, separate from your federal income tax, but it's supplemented by the general fund (since 2010, when more started being paid out than being collected in social security taxes).

Actually, if we're going to take a token pound of flesh from the wealthy, I'd prefer to see it be the social security taxable salary cap removed- as of right now, it's $110,000.  So Joe Schmo who's been grinding along as a senior network engineer for ten years is paying at least the same amount of social security tax as Mitt Romney or even Warren Buffett.

Do they withhold social security from capital gains and investment income?  I bet Joe actually pays a lot more than Mittens and Warren.

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on December 13, 2012, 03:18:13 PM
Do they withhold social security from capital gains and investment income?  I bet Joe actually pays a lot more than Mittens and Warren.

They don't--the tax is only on earned income up to $110k or so. But--I would think that both Romney and Buffett have that much earned income and are paying max social security taxes.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

Quote from: alfred russel on December 13, 2012, 03:23:04 PM
Quote from: sbr on December 13, 2012, 03:18:13 PM

They don't--the tax is only on earned income up to $110k or so. But--I would think that both Romney and Buffett have that much earned income and are paying max social security taxes.

I wasn't sure if either of then actually had a wage paying job that would have anything like that withheld.  It was just off the top of my head though so I am likely wrong.

Admiral Yi

I'm pretty sure Buffet gets a salary as CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.

Don't know what Mitt woul be getting a salary for.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2012, 03:36:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Buffet gets a salary as CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.

Don't know what Mitt woul be getting a salary for.

Speaking fees? I assume he has some earned income coming from somewhere, but I don't know that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on December 13, 2012, 03:46:38 PM
Speaking fees?

Look at the big brain on Fredo!

Come to think of it, he probably sits on a number of boards too.

MadImmortalMan

Buffett gets a hundred grand as salary. Presumably it makes no sense to get more than that, since it would provide all he needs to fit the limits to 401k contributions and reach the SSA cap. Making more would just raise his tax liability. Yes, I see the irony.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 13, 2012, 03:53:02 PM
Buffett gets a hundred grand as salary. Presumably it makes no sense to get more than that, since it would provide all he needs to fit the limits to 401k contributions and reach the SSA cap. Making more would just raise his tax liability. Yes, I see the irony.

:huh:  He would still get 65 cents for every dollar raise he gave himself.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2012, 03:56:00 PM

Yeah but if he takes stock instead he'll get 85 cents of every dividend dollar.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 13, 2012, 04:02:41 PM

I'm not positive, but I don't think options are part of his package either.

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 13, 2012, 04:02:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2012, 03:56:00 PM

What do you mean by "takes stock"?  If you mean pay himself by giving himself dividends, that it would only work if he owned the whole company, or a pretty large piece of it anyway.  You can't really give out targeted dividends to only one shareholder, at least not without getting charged with embezzlement.