News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oliver Stone's Untold History of America

Started by Josephus, November 13, 2012, 01:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

So there's this new show on cable. Was interested in it except I find out the first episode sets out to show that it wasn't the USA involvement in WW2 that defeated Hitler but rather  the Soviet Army that did the brunt of the work.

And I'm like....yeah, I knew this in Grade 2. But maybe Americans don't know this. I'm not sure. :huh:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/oliver-stones-untold-history-of-the-united-states,88625/

Oliver Stone's Untold History Of The United States isn't quite that. For the most part—at least in the first episode, which focuses on World War II—it's just recounting stuff that history tomes that dig a little bit deeper than the official story would get into. Stone bases much of the first hour around the thought that the Nazis lost World War II not because of the American military launching an offensive in France, but because the Soviet army eventually exhausted and beat the German forces back. At that point, what the Americans and British pulled off at Normandy was important, but the course of the war was essentially set. The Germans had essentially defeated themselves, thanks to Hitler's hubris and Stalin's gutsy decision-making and, well, the Russian people's willingness to sacrifice itself out of its sheer refusal to give an inch. In this episode, Stone, who narrates, constantly praises the battles on the Eastern Front as the greatest ever fought, and when he's talking about them, it's not hard to agree.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

I dont see anything overly wrong with the bolded portion.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on November 13, 2012, 01:40:07 PM

I believe Jos' point is that it's not news.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2012, 01:35:39 PM
And I'm like....yeah, I knew this in Grade 2. But maybe Americans don't know this. I'm not sure. :huh:

Wow you had military history in Grade 2.  I certainly learned this in school but that does not mean everybody was paying attention in class :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on November 13, 2012, 01:41:40 PM

Oliver Stone announces water is wet and shocks the world!

QuoteIn this episode, Stone, who narrates, constantly praises the battles on the Eastern Front as the greatest ever fought, and when he's talking about them, it's not hard to agree.

I must say he has one sick opinion about what makes something great and praiseworthy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2012, 01:42:46 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2012, 01:35:39 PM

Wow you had military history in Grade 2.  I certainly learned this in school but that does not mean everybody was paying attention in class :P

NO. I didn't say I learned it in school. My dad was a WW2 buff and I used to sit on his lap and watch The World At War series.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

Granted. Apparently it is to some. Did you read the comments in the link he posted?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

The comments are always the best thing in any Internet posting :D

11B4V

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on November 13, 2012, 01:45:02 PM

Granted. Apparently it is to some. Did you read the comments in the link he posted?

I'd have to bother going to the link to do that. :P

It's not really news to me, but my degree is in History, so there was a certain amount of WWII history that I had to take. I could see it being a different viewpoint for a lot of people, though. Especially those who go to school where they teach that the planet is only 6000 years. ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Gups

Quote from: 11B4V on November 13, 2012, 01:45:02 PM

Only read some of them but they all seem to agree that the Soviets did all the heavy lifting.

Malthus

Seems like a strawman used to generate interest. The significance of the Soviets is hardly "untold".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Does it include shit about the Kennedy assassination?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

You can go too far the other way in giving credit for Soviets.  Yes, it was Soviet soldiers who were getting slaughtered, but they were taken to the slaughter by American trucks and rail cars.  If Soviets had to take care of their own secondary, but still very much critical, materiel needs, how much more trouble would they be in than they already were?

Kleves

Americans did the building, Soviets did the dying. Would have been a much tougher war without either.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.