UK student facing trial for spreading pro-liberty propaganda

Started by Syt, November 12, 2012, 08:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

The key to Viking's whole outlook in this thread is that it is rooted entirely in the importance he attaches to his status as a public drunk.  If you are routinely drinking yourself insensate and wandering around town arguing with people, it is indeed a good rule to just obey any order anyone in the least position of authority gives you, since they probably have the better judgment and since you're already immediately suspect for being sopping drunk.  This is especially reinforced when you frequently encounter helpful authority figures like bar staff telling you what to do, since they will keep you from getting physically attacked and maintain you at a sufficiently high level of inebriation to satisfy your needs.

Now if you don't organize your life around public binge drinking, you might wish to organize your interactions with authority figures differently.  But when you're staggering drunk, it's both appropriate and socially desirable to submit completely to any show of authority.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2012, 03:57:05 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 12, 2012, 03:54:42 PM
Think I could just petition for the 5000 pounds and promise not to write in chalk? I need it for dental work. :)

Truly you are British in spirit and all, saving just the passport. :cheers:
If she was truly British in spirit she'd pocket the money and skip the dental work.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 13, 2012, 01:33:31 AM
The key to Viking's whole outlook in this thread is that it is rooted entirely in the importance he attaches to his status as a public drunk.  If you are routinely drinking yourself insensate and wandering around town arguing with people, it is indeed a good rule to just obey any order anyone in the least position of authority gives you, since they probably have the better judgment and since you're already immediately suspect for being sopping drunk.  This is especially reinforced when you frequently encounter helpful authority figures like bar staff telling you what to do, since they will keep you from getting physically attacked and maintain you at a sufficiently high level of inebriation to satisfy your needs.

Now if you don't organize your life around public binge drinking, you might wish to organize your interactions with authority figures differently.  But when you're staggering drunk, it's both appropriate and socially desirable to submit completely to any show of authority.
:lmfao:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Damn!  :lmfao:

POTM
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a while, or possibly Doctor Pangloss.

The UK has 63m people and 136k police officers. Every couple of months the police get heavy-handed with some gormless twit or other, there is a furore, the CPS decides not to prosecute or the twit gets his sentence quashed on appeal. The director of the CPS is holding an extensive review into social media so that proper revised guidance can be issued to police officers and future heavy-handed errors avoided. The system is working much as it ever did but needs to update some of its procedures to allow for the rise of social media. Meanwhile, in beacons of freedom such as Russia, the police very rarely misbehave......ha!

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 13, 2012, 02:59:38 AM
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a while, or possibly Doctor Pangloss.

The UK has 63m people and 136k police officers. Every couple of months the police get heavy-handed with some gormless twit or other, there is a furore, the CPS decides not to prosecute or the twit gets his sentence quashed on appeal. The director of the CPS is holding an extensive review into social media so that proper revised guidance can be issued to police officers and future heavy-handed errors avoided. The system is working much as it ever did but needs to update some of its procedures to allow for the rise of social media. Meanwhile, in beacons of freedom such as Russia, the police very rarely misbehave......ha!

Surely you recognize that the "it's worse in other parts of the world so stop complaining" argument is intellectually and morally bankrupt, right? :P

Richard Hakluyt

That wasn't my point though. My point was that, possibly, the media being full of stories of police incompetence is a good thing; as an absence of such stories can hardly be taken as good news. Or are there brilliant police forces elsewhere that are impossible to criticise?

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 13, 2012, 05:17:44 AM
That wasn't my point though. My point was that, possibly, the media being full of stories of police incompetence is a good thing; as an absence of such stories can hardly be taken as good news. Or are there brilliant police forces elsewhere that are impossible to criticise?
Another positive point of view is that such things are only reported because they're the exception, not the rule. If it happened all the time, it wouldn't be in the news.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2012, 10:13:58 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 12, 2012, 09:49:19 PM
How does that argument not apply to prosecuting murderers who are in no danger of re-offending?

HOw is murder zero damage?

Maybe he thinks the next rain will wash the dead off the victim.

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on November 13, 2012, 05:39:12 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 13, 2012, 05:17:44 AM
Another positive point of view is that such things are only reported because they're the exception, not the rule. If it happened all the time, it wouldn't be in the news.

Or the vast majority of the population is sufficiently cowered to not step out of line, like Wuss (formerly 'viking') , that people actively exercising their 'rights' to free speech are a now vanishing small minority, hence the rarity of these stories.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Gups

Quote from: mongers on November 13, 2012, 10:43:05 AM

Or the vast majority of the population is sufficiently cowered to not step out of line, like Wuss (formerly 'viking') , that people actively exercising their 'rights' to free speech are a now vanishing small minority, hence the rarity of these stories.

I know. Look at the internet. Nobody dares say anything.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on November 13, 2012, 11:00:44 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 13, 2012, 10:43:05 AM

I know. Look at the internet. Nobody dares say anything.

Well they won't if your govt continues its plan to punish people for 'malicious telecommunications'.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

And people were accusing me of being a wuss... :P
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2012, 10:13:58 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 12, 2012, 09:49:19 PM
How does that argument not apply to prosecuting murderers who are in no danger of re-offending?

HOw is murder zero damage?

You brought up prevention of damage to public property. Prosecuting a murderer with no risk of re-offending prevents no murders and costs a lot of money. Why doesn't the same logic apply here?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on November 13, 2012, 11:08:51 AM
Prosecuting a murderer with no risk of re-offending prevents no murders

Are there really that many prosecutions of dead murder suspects going on?

And even if we accept your stipulation that a murderer has no risk of re-offending, prosecuting him makes others less likely to follow suit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?