UK student facing trial for spreading pro-liberty propaganda

Started by Syt, November 12, 2012, 08:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2012, 03:57:05 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 12, 2012, 03:54:42 PM
Think I could just petition for the 5000 pounds and promise not to write in chalk? I need it for dental work. :)

Truly you are British in spirit and all, saving just the passport. :cheers:

:hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Viking

Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2012, 03:54:18 PM

Just to echo P.W. comment, you're seriously need to change you username to something more appropriate, may I suggest 'Wuss'.

So a guy puts on a yellow high-vis jacket with 'security' written on it and you feel obliged to do and say what he 'thinks' appropriate. :blink:

I've had security people say the most ludicrous things to me on occasion, like "oh you can't hand out leaflets on the high street as it breaks health an safety regulations" or "what if you upset someone" etc.
Should I kowtow to any tom,dick and harry and be grateful at the same time.

First of all I do know my rights. I don't just do what I am told in any place at all times. Persons of authority have scopes to that authority and when I am within that scope I listen. I don't argue with barmaids, I do what they tell me. I don't argue with bouncers, I do what they tell me. I don't argue with airline stewardesses and stewards, airport safety screeners, policemen, policewomen or teachers. I don't get angry, I do what I am told and get their credentials.

The consequences of this is that I get tremendous leeway in my local bars and clubs. The staff know me and know if they ask me to take a walk around the block or drink a pint of water or go home I will, it also means that they always err on my side. If I get into a drunken shouting match about Individual transferrable quotas or the leninist islamist who just got the norwegian version of the OBE I don't get dirty looks from the bouncer, I get told to be less loud and get asked if I want another beer. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2012, 03:51:02 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 12, 2012, 03:45:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2012, 03:15:06 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 12, 2012, 03:11:46 PM
The lesson here is that one should listen to police officers when they ask nicely. Piss one off and he can fuck your day up.

And it seems the officers feel completely comfortable wasting thousands in public funds to teach a singular random person this lesson.
That's what public order is based on.  You libertarians can go fuck yourselves.
Public order is based on spending lots of money to teach one person a lesson?
Yes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

The lesson here is that one should listen to police officers when they ask nicely. Piss one off and he can fuck your day up.

And it seems the officers feel completely comfortable wasting thousands in public funds to teach a singular random person this lesson.

How much is it worth to society that a person be well behaved?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on November 12, 2012, 04:11:01 PM

I don't see how that's relevant considering that I don't think chalking a side walk is an example of bad behavior.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Viking on November 12, 2012, 04:07:33 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2012, 03:54:18 PM

Just to echo P.W. comment, you're seriously need to change you username to something more appropriate, may I suggest 'Wuss'.

So a guy puts on a yellow high-vis jacket with 'security' written on it and you feel obliged to do and say what he 'thinks' appropriate. :blink:

I've had security people say the most ludicrous things to me on occasion, like "oh you can't hand out leaflets on the high street as it breaks health an safety regulations" or "what if you upset someone" etc.
Should I kowtow to any tom,dick and harry and be grateful at the same time.

First of all I do know my rights. I don't just do what I am told in any place at all times. Persons of authority have scopes to that authority and when I am within that scope I listen. I don't argue with barmaids, I do what they tell me. I don't argue with bouncers, I do what they tell me. I don't argue with airline stewardesses and stewards, airport safety screeners, policemen, policewomen or teachers. I don't get angry, I do what I am told and get their credentials.

The consequences of this is that I get tremendous leeway in my local bars and clubs. The staff know me and know if they ask me to take a walk around the block or drink a pint of water or go home I will, it also means that they always err on my side. If I get into a drunken shouting match about Individual transferrable quotas or the leninist islamist who just got the norwegian version of the OBE I don't get dirty looks from the bouncer, I get told to be less loud and get asked if I want another beer.

Wuss, it is then.

I note you haven't addressed you're sucking up to security guards.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2012, 04:22:57 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 12, 2012, 04:11:01 PM

I don't see how that's relevant considering that I don't think chalking a side walk is an example of bad behavior.

Respecting the police is.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on November 12, 2012, 04:27:24 PM

I'm not sure it is good for public order if the police can request you to do anything and you must comply.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2012, 04:36:27 PM

I'm not sure it is good for public order if the police can request you to do anything and you must comply.

When it comes within the scope of their authority then you should. It is within the authority of the police to confront those who are defacing public property. The public sidewalk is public property.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on November 12, 2012, 04:43:32 PM

When it comes within the scope of their authority then you should. It is within the authority of the police to confront those who are defacing public property. The public sidewalk is public property.

I believe the question is whether it's truly "defacing public property" when it's sidewalk chalk.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Viking

Quote from: merithyn on November 12, 2012, 04:45:11 PM

I believe the question is whether it's truly "defacing public property" when it's sidewalk chalk.

I believe that when it comes to public property then it is the responsible local officer of the state that gets to decide that.

mongers

His username broke his irony meter.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2012, 04:52:24 PM

His username broke his irony meter.

So, which special commodity do you deal in?

garbon

Disagree when things like this are so unevenly applied. Then it just becomes a method by which the police can terrorize citizens.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on November 12, 2012, 04:48:09 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 12, 2012, 04:45:11 PM

I believe that when it comes to public property then it is the responsible local officer of the state that gets to decide that.

But that's not even true. The Crown Prosecution Service dropped the case.