For the 1st time Gallup finds that a majority call themselves Pro-life

Started by jimmy olsen, May 15, 2009, 03:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on May 15, 2009, 04:55:21 PMThen again, maybe it's a rogue poll.

A rogue poll, and rogue terminology.

Hell, I'm pro-life.  Namely, mine. 
I still want to see dead fetuses on tap.  Whatever gets traffic moving in the morning.

Sheilbh

It's odd given that people's actual views on policy haven't seemed to change a large amount for more than thirty years:

I wonder what causes the change in how they describe themselves.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 16, 2009, 09:34:52 AM

I wonder what causes the change in how they describe themselves.
Perhaps it's just kneejerk opposition to the President who is perceived as an all or nothing partisan by the moderate electorate. Thus when a Republican is elected the number describing themselves as pro-choice goes up, when a democrat is elected the number describing themselves as pro-life goes up.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Hearing the recent statements of some democratic politicians: "I'm opposed to abortion personally, but don't believe in imposing my beliefs on others," I could imagine some people agreeing and answering they are pro life. As Sheilbh posted, when the question is more specific regarding the law it doesn't seem as though many have changed their points of view.

There is one way to spike those pro choice numbers and drop the pro life crowd to under 30%: outlaw abortion and wait for people to notice the otherwise promising single young women who are having to drop out of school to take menial jobs to support the babies they never wanted to have.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on May 16, 2009, 10:00:25 AM
Hearing the recent statements of some democratic politicians: "I'm opposed to abortion personally, but don't believe in imposing my beliefs on others," I could imagine some people agreeing and answering they are pro life

That's not a new stance though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

I think abortion is one of these rare issues that will indeed continue to divide people for decades if not centuries to come, because unlike other "moral" issues (gay marriage, assisted suicide, sex ed, contraception) it is a bona fide conflict of two strong ethical principles and not just an attempt by the bigots to preserve the social status quo.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 15, 2009, 06:28:47 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 15, 2009, 04:12:53 PM

I know. The country doesn't need more poor trash having kids.

As you wonder why your country is spirally into a demographic crisis.
Was it a pun?  :lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on May 16, 2009, 10:34:00 AM
I think abortion is one of these rare issues that will indeed continue to divide people for decades if not centuries to come, because unlike other "moral" issues (gay marriage, assisted suicide, sex ed, contraception) it is a bona fide conflict of two strong ethical principles and not just an attempt by the bigots to preserve the social status quo.

Assisted suicide? :boggle:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 16, 2009, 10:57:15 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 16, 2009, 10:34:00 AM

Assisted suicide? :boggle:

What do you mean? Do you disagree with the term or with my characterization of it?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on May 16, 2009, 10:59:09 AM
What do you mean? Do you disagree with the term or with my characterization of it?

Your characterization. Opposition has little to do with bigotry. Also I don't see it becoming a non-issue anytime soon.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 16, 2009, 11:12:08 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 16, 2009, 10:59:09 AM

Your characterization. Opposition has little to do with bigotry. Also I don't see it becoming a non-issue anytime soon.
Well, the way I see it, it has nothing to do with morality or ethics either. I did not say euthanasia (which is a broader concept than assisted suicide and does indeed involve some grey moral areas), but assisted suicide is pretty straightforward to me - every human being has a right to live their life and end it when they want, as long as they are conscious and sound of mind when they take the decision. Assuming these conditions are satisfied, I see no ethical reason whatsoever about denying the person that right. No god, king or church can prevent them from ending their life when they want, in dignity.

Now I am not saying doctors should be forced to assist in suicide, but those who do should not be penalized.

Sheilbh

What I can't explain is the suddenness in the rise of people calling themselves 'pro-life'.  I thought that maybe it was to do with immigration and the growth of the Catholic Church.  Generally I think Catholics almost entirely consider themsleves pro-life but are, generally, less absolutist about it than the Church heirarchy (they dislike the idea of no abortion in cases of rape and incest, for example).  But that would have been evident over a number of years :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Hansmeister

Quote from: alfred russel on May 16, 2009, 10:00:25 AM
Hearing the recent statements of some democratic politicians: "I'm opposed to abortion personally, but don't believe in imposing my beliefs on others," I could imagine some people agreeing and answering they are pro life. As Sheilbh posted, when the question is more specific regarding the law it doesn't seem as though many have changed their points of view.

There is one way to spike those pro choice numbers and drop the pro life crowd to under 30%: outlaw abortion and wait for people to notice the otherwise promising single young women who are having to drop out of school to take menial jobs to support the babies they never wanted to have.

Ever heard of adoption?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 15, 2009, 05:18:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 15, 2009, 04:55:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2009, 03:38:51 PM
Wow.

That sucks.
Maybe, if this trend holds up, America can finally adopt a rational abortion policy, as opposed to this all-or-nothing nonsense.  After all, legal abortion isn't going anywhere, even if a majority of Americans were holy-rollers who hated abortion (and that's not the case here).

Then again, maybe it's a rogue poll.
Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others!  :w00t:

:lmfao:
:p