News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World War Z trailer is out . . . and it sucks

Started by Syt, November 10, 2012, 11:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2012, 07:56:01 AM
Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back was far more convincing than any Yoda scene of the prequel trilogy.   That pretty much sums it all up.

As dated as it is, I still think the T Rex paddock scenes from Jurassic Park is still the most convincing CGI effects ever, and the primary reason was the inclusion of rain in the shots.

Well a good portion of it was done with a giant puppet, and it's hard to tell which scenes used the mock up and which used CGI.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

I have to say, weirdest thing about the book for me was that the Chicoms were able to hide what was going on for a substantial period of time.  There's hundreds of millions of cellphones with cameras in China.  Reanimated dead would be on YouTube within days.  Hours, maybe.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on November 11, 2012, 06:15:55 PM
I have to say, weirdest thing about the book for me was that the Chicoms were able to hide what was going on for a substantial period of time.  There's hundreds of millions of cellphones with cameras in China.  Reanimated dead would be on YouTube within days.  Hours, maybe.

It starts out in their rural areas, plus the Chinese have a huge control of the content transmitted through their web. But yeah, it's probably a bit too stretched out. The author didn't anticipate how pervasive social media would be just a few years after he published the book, information would probably flow much faster in reality than it does in the book.

Queequeg

We had pretty decent footage of the Rwandan Genocide, and that was in the early 90s in a far less interconnected place than near-future China.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on November 11, 2012, 07:16:09 PM
We had pretty decent footage of the Rwandan Genocide, and that was in the early 90s in a far less interconnected place than near-future China.

There was hardly an effort from their government to cover that massacre though, damn, I remember that the government media even openly called to murder Tutsis. Members of government were cleansed, too... the international community learnt pretty soon about it and there already were several international reporters on the ground due to recent the civil war.

HVC

But the Chinese weren't hiding the massacre, IIRC, just the reason.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on November 12, 2012, 09:46:28 AM
But the Chinese weren't hiding the massacre, IIRC, just the reason.

Dunno, I should pick up the book again, but I think they were shadier than that.

Anyway, I concede the general point that Brooks didn't really account for the pervasiveness of social media and smartphones (both were still a novelty when the book came out), and how more easily information would flow if this thing happened right now. I'm not sure how these communications would hold up if countries started to be overrun, though.

Gups

It's a shit book. So many internal inconsistencies there's no point in picking up just one or two.

And the writing is terrible too.

Saladin

Quote from: Gups on November 12, 2012, 10:31:35 AM
It's a shit book. So many internal inconsistencies there's no point in picking up just one or two.

And the writing is terrible too.

Tell me more!  :)
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Gups

To beat these zombies, dig a big pit. Put a battery powered siren or something noisy in there. Watch and laugh as the zombies fall into the big pit one after another.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Gups on November 12, 2012, 11:10:18 AM
To beat these zombies, dig a big pit. Put a battery powered siren or something noisy in there. Watch and laugh as the zombies fall into the big pit one after another.

I was thinking a variant of this

Where the funnel leads to a deep trench with steep sides and filled on the bottom with gasoline and firewood.

that and equpping a zombie killig squad with moped driven chariots, in MC crash suits with crowd control gear protecting their skin from biting and equipped with morning stars and maces killing zombies before jumping back on the chariot to escape.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.