News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Peter Pan Syndrome and Sexual Economics

Started by MadImmortalMan, November 09, 2012, 02:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2012, 05:06:56 AM
So perhaps, ultimately, the conclusion is that gender roles started to disappear and the dynamics now works both ways when it comes to heterosexual couples and not just with men being always "providers".

'Started'?  Pretty sure this has been going on for awhile now.  Everybody except the pretty well off need both partners working.

But I am not sure what that has to do with the phenonmenon we are discussing in the article.  Do gay men also have a hard time growing up and working hard in their careers or whatever if they have sex?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2012, 10:11:58 AM
So perhaps, ultimately, the conclusion is that gender roles started to disappear and the dynamics now works both ways when it comes to heterosexual couples and not just with men being always "providers".

'Started'?  Pretty sure this has been going on for awhile now.  Everybody except the pretty well off need both partners working.

But I am not sure what that has to do with the phenonmenon we are discussing in the article.  Do gay men also have a hard time growing up and working hard in their careers or whatever if they have sex?

It's easier to find casual sex but it's harder to keep a relationship going (compared to heterosexual couples).

Malthus

Incidentally, I think gay men (or perhaps equally well gay women but that's the area I know nothing about) are perhaps a better group to study these tendencies as you do not have to provide for actual (or imagined) gender differences...

And despite the lack of such differences, age difference is more frequent than not, with all the sugar daddy/cougar/boy toy/trophy wife mechanics in place.

Gay men traditionally did not make good analogies for straight relationships for the simple reason that, in the past, gay relationships were not as public and socially-acceptable as straight ones and so were not subjected to the same social pressures (this is I think slowly changing what with gay marriage and all).

What the article in the OP misses, in large part, is the significance of these social pressures to the average person.

For example, most men work hard, not just to "get sex", but because they wish to have high social status (or put less baldly, they wish their families and friends to think well of them). In the past, social status was gained by women by "marrying well", but can now be gained by professional accomplishments, just like men, etc. For middle-class types at least, there still exists a certain amount of stigma associated with obviously unbalanced-in-status relationships. 

Gay men, being subject already to middle-class social disapproval (again, traditionally and this is changing - in my city for example it is only true among the minority these days), are going to have a very different dynamic. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Legbiter

Quote from: Tamas on November 12, 2012, 04:21:22 AM
I could take what you wrote, and remark that women switch from craving "alpha" males to settling with plain providers not when they have enough of being abused, but when they feel they are nearing the end of their prime.

And in fact you'd be very correct. A significant amount of women now spend their hottest years riding around on the cock carousel until the Wall beckons and they jump off into the arms of a moist-eyed herb, there to provide a family and retirement from the carousel before the last remaining eggs dry out. Those who fail to exit on time, or misjudge their jump, splatter badly/turn into cat ladies, and serve as a warning to the next generation.

With men you get the same effect via the WOW basement dwelling introvert demographic that disease, accidents, violence and war used to take care of before.

What this means is a bonanza for the man with enough mojo to give women what they want.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Warspite

Discussions about sex and relationships here always seem to have a tinge of bitterness about them.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on November 12, 2012, 05:52:07 PM
Discussions about sex and relationships here always seem to have a tinge of bitterness about them.

No I think the real bitterness is with those here who aren't discussing it.  :whistle:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2012, 05:53:58 PM

No I think the real bitterness is with those here who aren't discussing it.  :whistle:

Treat the queens like whores, and the whores like queens.

Fin.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 12, 2012, 05:55:16 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2012, 05:53:58 PM

Treat the queens like whores, and the whores like queens.

Fin.

Don't you treat me like a whore. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, sure...the lips say "no", but the eyes say "spank me like a naughty, naughty 5th grade math teacher".

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 12, 2012, 06:15:24 PM
Yeah, sure...the lips say "no", but the eyes say "spank me like a naughty, naughty 5th grade math teacher".

You'd better check yourself, before you wreck yourself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2012, 06:19:45 PM

He said a math teacher, not a P.E. teacher.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2012, 06:19:45 PM

Naughty, naughty actuary?

garbon

Yeah mentioning DGul really does it for me. <_<

Brazen

How does that work for older women? "Pretend I'm your teacher. Undermine my authority"?

Valmy

Well it is sort of hard for anybody to discuss these issues without it bringing up their particular past ;)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."