10 most difficult books to finish (from The guardian)

Started by Josephus, November 09, 2012, 09:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2012, 10:05:42 AM
Probably the most difficult book I ever tried to read was Rushie's Satanic Verses when it first came out;  but, after many years and many college credits in Islam later, I tried it again and enjoyed it immensely.

I used Tolkien's Silmarillion as a doorstop for decades.  Dear God, what a turgid mess.

I will agree with both of these. I've still yet to get through Satanic Verses.  :yucky:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2012, 10:23:28 AM
My list would include War and Peace - and the Bible. I always get bored. -_-

Yeah the Bible can be pretty brutal.  But then it is a combination of 24 books (if you are Jewish) to 78 books (if you are Eastern Orthodox) so I guess that shoud be expected.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2012, 10:18:00 AM
In French literrature it would just be anything written by the Naturalist movement authors. Damn things are long just for the sake of being long.

2-3 pages sentences are too often the norm.
:bleeding:
2-3 page sentences would be more like Proust and he is not exactly a naturalist. The naturalist Zola is quite readable, more so than Balzac, specially when one has to read it before the age of 15 (biggest issue I bet).

Pedrito

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2012, 10:10:08 AM
Crime and Punishment would head my own personal list of "hard to finish" books.

Quoted. Every time I tried, I went a bit further than the time before, but I never reached page 250.

Other books strted and never finished:

Ulysses,
Silmarillion,
War and Peace,
The Golden Bough (redux, obviously),

and several others that don't come to my mind right now.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Grey Fox

I was 20 when I had to read Balzac. I couldn't do it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

There were definitely books that I just couldn't finish no matter how often I tried, and that I completely purged from my memory.  Unfortunately, I don't recall what they were.

celedhring

Only read "Under the Volcano" and "Finnegan's Wake" from that list. Didn't find them particularly hard to read, "Ulysses" from Joyce was much harder to get through, for example.

I'd list Shakespeare plays but that was more due to the language barrier (old English...), so I'll go with "The Phenomenology of Spirit" from Hegel. Nietzsche is also hard on philosophical allegory but at least pretty entertaining to read.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on November 09, 2012, 10:24:26 AM
I've still yet to get through Satanic Verses.  :yucky:

It's an acquired read.  But it would certainly help to get a decent reading and understanding of the Quran and early Islam under one's belt.

It's like trying to read Last Temptation of Christ without being familiar with the synoptic Gospels.

garbon

Actually now several have flooded back to me:

The Bible
War And Peace
The Second Sex
City of God
The Feminine Mystique
Anything by Norman Mailer
Of Grammatology
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I did read War & Peace (twice), Crime & Punishment without problems. I still have to re-tackle Brothers Karamasov.

I didn't finish Ulysses. I found it funny in the annotated version, though, to learn that Joyce had made an elaborate spreadsheet of motifs/themes/colors and what not for each chapter, loosely patterned after the Odyssey (obviously). Years after the book was published he got so frustrated that no one recognized it that eventually published it.

It took me three or four attempts to get into Grass' Tin Drum, but once it clicked it was very smooth sailing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2012, 10:41:04 AM
I'd list Shakespeare plays but that was more due to the language barrier (old English...), so I'll go with "The Phenomenology of Spirit" from Hegel. Nietzsche is also hard on philosophical allegory but at least pretty entertaining to read.

Well plays are not written to be read, but performed.  And don't make me slap you, Shakespeare is not written in Old English.  It does not even remotely resemble Old English.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2012, 10:56:12 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2012, 10:41:04 AM

Well plays are not written to be read, but performed. 

Yeah, I've always found Shakespeare a little easier to comprehend during performances than in reading him.  But you've got to be dialed in and paying attention.

Pedrito

Speaking of doorstops, I've recently acquired Canetti's Crowds and Power and Dumont's Homo Hierarchicus, a treatise on the hindu caste system.

I highly doubt I'll ever finish one of those, but they are very, very, very good-looking when sitting on the living room bookshelf.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: