California dreamin' - Tips for a summer trip, plz

Started by The Larch, March 14, 2012, 06:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on September 15, 2012, 04:14:50 AM
Celsius scale makes much more sense for daily use conceptually, as zero is the water freezing temperature. Of course nothing beats the force of habit - to be Fahrenheit scale is completely nonsensical too.

Fahrenheit's smaller degrees gives it the edge IMO. Easier to conceptualize a difference in temperatures when the gap is nearly twice as large.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Larch on September 15, 2012, 03:55:58 AM

It says it's used in science, in the military and partially in industry, but not at the household level, where customary units still prevail for most stuff.

Anyway, I'm leaving. See you on the other side (of the Atlantic)!  :w00t:

Eh, we use it all the time for everyday consumer stuff. Household level and everything.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 15, 2012, 05:43:48 AM
Quote from: The Larch on September 15, 2012, 03:55:58 AM

It says it's used in science, in the military and partially in industry, but not at the household level, where customary units still prevail for most stuff.

Anyway, I'm leaving. See you on the other side (of the Atlantic)!  :w00t:

Eh, we use it all the time for everyday consumer stuff. Household level and everything.

Yeah, most of our products are labeled in both.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 15, 2012, 04:28:17 AM
Celsius scale makes much more sense for daily use conceptually, as zero is the water freezing temperature. Of course nothing beats the force of habit - to be Fahrenheit scale is completely nonsensical too.

Fahrenheit's smaller degrees gives it the edge IMO. Easier to conceptualize a difference in temperatures when the gap is nearly twice as large.

Also once you've learned 32 is the freezing point, not conceptually hard to master.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2012, 08:58:57 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 15, 2012, 04:28:17 AM

It isn't hard to do the math either, if you know the boiling point is 212. Although it is easier to go from celcius to fahrenheit.

Also once you've learned 32 is the freezing point, not conceptually hard to master.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

I agree even though your use of quotes was horrendous.

The Larch

Quick update from Cali! I'm at picturesque 29 Palms, right next to Joshua tree NP, and tomorrow we'll get to LA. So far so good, having a blast over here.   :)

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2012, 01:24:34 AM
Quick update from Cali! I'm at picturesque 29 Palms, right next to Joshua tree NP, and tomorrow we'll get to LA. So far so good, having a blast over here.   :)

:thumbsup:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch

Just arrived in lA, turns out our hostel is located right into little seoul or something. We're surrounded by yis.

Btw, after braving the LA access freeways nothing scares me about driving anymore. Driving into Death valley was less stressful.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

Did we ever get a proper AAR for this? How did it go?  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: alfred russel on November 08, 2012, 11:03:51 PM
Did we ever get a proper AAR for this? How did it go?  :)

It was great! Nope, you didn't get a proper AAR, will get to do one when I have a bit more time.  :)