And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2021, 08:57:31 PM

:cool:

Sounds a bit like the spot in Lord of the Rings were there force back to find and use, after having accidentally entered the rapids.

Sadly, wandering Toronto is nowhere near as cool as wandering around in the UK countryside
- where you can stumble across Iron Age hill forts or Georgian manor houses!

One of my dreams is of someday travelling there again for a ramble, when this damned plague is over with.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

I think the travel industry is going to get a lot of business post-plague.

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on January 13, 2021, 03:01:31 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2021, 08:57:31 PM

:cool:

Sounds a bit like the spot in Lord of the Rings were there force back to find and use, after having accidentally entered the rapids.

Sadly, wandering Toronto is nowhere near as cool as wandering around in the UK countryside
- where you can stumble across Iron Age hill forts or Georgian manor houses!

One of my dreams is of someday travelling there again for a ramble, when this damned plague is over with.

That's exactly my intention come the Spring/Summer.

Avebury's / Mid-West Wiltshire is a good area to stumble upon a lot of stuff from different ages, bump into you there?  :)

Hadrian's Wall its a good ramble, but given advancing age, it'll probably seem like a route march to me now.  :D

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Post-plague languish ramble  :cool: ?

Maladict

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 14, 2021, 01:58:46 AM
Post-plague languish ramble  :cool: ?

Or a non-urban death march would be equally cool.  :P

Syt

A couple impressions from the Switzerland trip (in the area where the cantons Zürich, Zug, and Schwyz meet):

(not our car)

Interesting how high you can pile snow on things.

The way back

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Syt

Fridays is when my cleaning lady comes and I leave the house for a couple of hours. Today is a proper early spring day. I took a walk through Volksgarten and First District (the pedestrian area is crazy busy with deliveries before 9 am :o ) and to Stadtpark where I lounged in the sun (after wiping down a dewy bench) while listening to a podcast. Then slowly made my way back home, but not without more sun lounging in the park between Kunsthistorisches and Naturhistorisches Museum under the gaze of Maria Theresia. :cool:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Volksgarten early in the morning.

Swans and gulls at the Stadtpark.

Crows hanging out like hoodlums.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on February 26, 2021, 05:42:33 AM
under the gaze of Maria Theresia. :cool:

I liked how it seems she's stuck up on that high pedestal, and signalling for help by pointing to Daun.
That doesn't work at all in German, but still.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on February 26, 2021, 05:44:18 AM

Crows hanging out like hoodlums.

Very nice Syt, Spring has definitely arrived, daffodils and snowdrops out here.

I like you two tone crows, the grey makes them look like they're wearing morning suits.

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on February 26, 2021, 06:23:24 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 26, 2021, 05:42:33 AM
under the gaze of Maria Theresia. :cool:

I liked how it seems she's stuck up on that high pedestal, and signalling for help by pointing to Daun.
That doesn't work at all in German, but still.

:D

Btw, saw this sign mounted on the Künstlerhaus. Not sure what they were thinking mounting the transparent sign over the gold letters like this.

—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Cold again here for a few days, but it won't deter the arrival of Spring, daffodils, snowdrops and many scrub/bushes already flowering.

Had a nice early evening ride, nearly lost all sensation in my fingers, but there's usable light at 6.45  GMT.:bowler:

And British Summer Time is in three Sundays time.   :wub:

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on March 07, 2021, 08:32:33 PM
Cold again here for a few days, but it won't deter the arrival of Spring, daffodils, snowdrops and many scrub/bushes already flowering.

Had a nice early evening ride, nearly lost all sensation in my fingers, but there's usable light at 6.45  GMT.:bowler:

And British Summer Time is in three Sundays time.   :wub:

It's cold but dry, I've been enjoying the crisp spring air. And yes, summer time is around the corner  :cool: