Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

2020 was my worst ever year for going places.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2021, 08:53:48 AM

That's bad. I'd say I still beat at least my first five or so years.

That said, I went on my first hike of the year yesterday. Cold, crisp, and apart from a single downpour very enjoyable.
I do need a lot more exercise, 2020's last quarter has not been kind on my physical condition.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on January 10, 2021, 09:14:55 AM

That said, I went on my first hike of the year yesterday. Cold, crisp, and apart from a single downpour very enjoyable.
I do need a lot more exercise, 2020's last quarter has not been kind on my physical condition.

:cool:

Mal as you're one of the few doing anything, maybe you should start the 2021 fitness thread?   :)

mongers

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2021, 10:09:40 AM
Quote from: Maladict on January 10, 2021, 09:14:55 AM

Mal as you're one of the few doing anything, maybe you should start the 2021 fitness thread?   :)

Yes, good idea

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2021, 12:58:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2021, 09:05:38 AM
:rolleyes:

:blink:

garbon has had a great year........abseiling to the bathroom.....a detailed anthropological study of his living room....the ascent of the north-facing back steps when they had a slight covering of frost   :P

You are just a gloomster and doomster mongers  :lol:

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 10, 2021, 04:52:57 PM

garbon has had a great year........abseiling to the bathroom.....a detailed anthropological study of his living room....the ascent of the north-facing back steps when they had a slight covering of frost   :P

:lol:

Good one.

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 10, 2021, 04:52:57 PM

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

I've actually been doing more walking than ever before - in back streets and parks, away from people.

Today, I discovered a back road that leads down to the Humber River, to a boat launch, down near the lake. The interesting thing is that this isolated and hard to find spot (I have driven past it hundreds of times without knowing it) is actually the very origin of my city!

The word "Toronto" comes from the term "Toronto carrying place", which is what the local Iroquoians called the portage trail up the Humber River valley - and this hidden little boat landing was more or less on the site of the head of that trail (evidenced by a plaque).

This was a fun little find. I sorta suspected that there was a boat landing there, as last summer I saw someone unloading a boat from across the River.

Toronto is a great city for obscure paths, ravines and parks, which has been a godsend for me during the pandemic.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on January 10, 2021, 06:33:05 PM
I've actually been doing more walking than ever before - in back streets and parks, away from people.

Today, I discovered a back road that leads down to the Humber River, to a boat launch, down near the lake. The interesting thing is that this isolated and hard to find spot (I have driven past it hundreds of times without knowing it) is actually the very origin of my city!

The word "Toronto" comes from the term "Toronto carrying place", which is what the local Iroquoians called the portage trail up the Humber River valley - and this hidden little boat landing was more or less on the site of the head of that trail (evidenced by a plaque).

This was a fun little find. I sorta suspected that there was a boat landing there, as last summer I saw someone unloading a boat from across the River.

Toronto is a great city for obscure paths, ravines and parks, which has been a godsend for me during the pandemic.

Sounds a bit like the spot in Lord of the Rings were there force back to find and use, after having accidentally entered the rapids.

mongers

Actually managed to get out into the forest for an hour earlier this evening, usable light at 5.15pm, this week we gain a whole extra ten minutes of evening light, next week it's a whole 12 minutes.

And at 50N here, we continue to gain 12 or 13 additional minutes every week till the spring equinox.  :cool:

British Summer Time in 11 Sundays time.  :bowler:

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on January 13, 2021, 02:21:14 PM
:w00t:

It's the worst day of the year because I lose an hour's sleep. But I absolutely love long British summer evenings (I have a friend who's spent the last few years living near the equator who always says that's the thing he misses most - as opposed to it's always dark at 6pm).
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Actually managed to get out into the forest for an hour earlier this evening, usable light at 5.15pm, this week we gain a whole extra ten minutes of evening light, next week it's a whole 12 minutes.

And at 50N here, we continue to gain 12 or 13 additional minutes every week till the spring equinox.  :cool:

I've been keeping track of that religiously. A whole 4 seconds on the first day after the solstice, but it's speeding up now. One odd thing I noticed is that the sun kept coming up later each day until about two weeks after the solstice,only to go down later still at night.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 13, 2021, 02:26:47 PM
:w00t:

It's the worst day of the year because I lose an hour's sleep. But I absolutely love long British summer evenings (I have a friend who's spent the last few years living near the equator who always says that's the thing he misses most - as opposed to it's always dark at 6pm).

I agree.  I loved it in Alaska too.

I've said it before.  Need a summer home up at this latitude, and a winter(summer) home in some place like southern Chile or New Zealand.  :P