News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Cool evening ride to church today.

Nice watching the light bleed out of the sky as I headed homeward back down the valley.
Pigs out pannaging, must be Autumn.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2020, 05:50:29 PM

Nice watching the light bleed out of the sky as I headed homeward back down.

Sounds lovely.

It's been raining non-stop for a week here, I'm only going out for groceries. :(

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on October 11, 2020, 05:59:23 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2020, 05:50:29 PM

Nice watching the light bleed out of the sky as I headed homeward back down the valley.

Sounds lovely.

It's been raining non-stop for a week here, I'm only going out for groceries. :(

:(

Though I think you can deservedly rest on your laurels for a while, given your earlier epic trek.  :)

Malthus

Took a walk up the Humber valley, not far from where I live - the salmon run is has been on for a while. It is hard to imagine the fish can jump the weirs across the river, some of them are pretty high - but evidently they do. You usually see them fail to make it, though. But some must make it, because there are always a bunch of fish trying to jump the next one upriver.

It's an incredible feat of endurance, many don't make it (and birds are eating their corpses). On our relatively short walking route, there are six weirs!

It's also pretty startling to see such large fish in the city. They can get around three feet long, so pretty big.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 13, 2020, 11:06:13 AM
Took a walk up the Humber valley, not far from where I live - the salmon run is has been on for a while. It is hard to imagine the fish can jump the weirs across the river, some of them are pretty high - but evidently they do. You usually see them fail to make it, though. But some must make it, because there are always a bunch of fish trying to jump the next one upriver.

It's an incredible feat of endurance, many don't make it (and birds are eating their corpses). On our relatively short walking route, there are six weirs!

It's also pretty startling to see such large fish in the city. They can get around three feet long, so pretty big.

:cool:

More to a cityscape than meets the eye, so to speak.

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 13, 2020, 11:19:33 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 13, 2020, 11:06:13 AM

:cool:

More to a cityscape than meets the eye, so to speak.

Went back today, the fish were really jumping. This time, we saw some make it over the weir.

Here's a pic of the salmon jumping the weir - this one made it:

https://imgur.com/a/uigZw2Q

The bridge at Old Mill (complete with hopeful fishermen)

https://imgur.com/a/Yfl8SLB

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

Quote from: Malthus on October 14, 2020, 05:31:36 PM

Went back today, the fish were really jumping. This time, we saw some make it over the weir.

Impressive. It's a really nice area, I remember walking near there and this massive beaver appeared out of nowhere.
I didn't know they got that big

Malthus

Quote from: Maladict on October 15, 2020, 01:13:14 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 14, 2020, 05:31:36 PM

Impressive. It's a really nice area, I remember walking near there and this massive beaver appeared out of nowhere.
I didn't know they got that big

There is a lot of wildlife in the valley - I see deer there sometimes, there is a flock that basically lives in the nearby park lawn cemetery. I see lots of beaver activity in the valley, but I haven't seen one up close there - though I have seen them elsewhere.

The three impressions I got from seeing a beaver up close in the wild are: they are much, much bigger than I thought; up close, they aren't nearly as cute as they are usually depicted; and their teeth are a weird bright orange colour.

Richard Hakluyt

Beavers also have a cloaca, a single lower body opening for all the various functions  :x

I'm glad I'm a hominid if only for that  :lol:

mongers

The New forest is looking beautiful these last couple of weeks, need to get out into it more before Winter closes in.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on October 26, 2020, 09:03:28 AM
The New forest is looking beautiful these last couple of weeks, need to get out into it more before Winter closes in.

And post a few pictures  :cool:

Valmy

New? I bet it is actually 1,000 years old or something :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on October 26, 2020, 03:52:59 PM

And post a few pictures  :cool:

Nothing much, though I did spot this behind one of my favourite trees when I stopped here:

and there was quite a nice sunset the other day:

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on October 27, 2020, 10:02:10 AM

Nothing much, though I did spot this behind one of my favourite trees when I stopped here:

Wow, I don't want to know what's underneath that.

Quoteand there was quite a nice sunset the other day:

very nice  :cool:

mongers

Pigs still out in force pannaging over the last few days, had a little heard of them running along crass lawn beside me on the road.   :)