News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I'm on vacation, but it's also the day my leaning lady comes, so I went for the longest walk since lockdown began. I gained a few kilos during quarantine. After two and a half hours of walking down to the shopping street, hitting some book and electronic stores, then heading back home, with a stop for at a supermarket to buy groceries I'm exhausted. -_-

However, when passing the back side of the Palace of Justice, I saw a prisoner transfer. The car on the right is blocking car traffic on those lanes.

No idea who they transported, couldn't find anything online. The building houses the Vienna appellate courts for civil and criminal cases, as well as the supreme court. My guess for this instance is: criminal court. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

One for mongers - I saw this story:
QuoteHambledon murder stone found destroyed

The memorial before and after it was damaged

A memorial which commemorates an 18th Century murder has been destroyed.

The Grade-II listed murder stone near Hambledon, Hampshire, was found in pieces on Friday.

Pieces of the memorial, which was erected in 1782, have been collected by the parish council while Historic England is consulted about repairs.

The cause of the damage is unknown, although social media posts claim a tractor-driven hedge cutter was being operated near the stone last week.

Hampshire County Council, which is responsible for highways, has been approached for comment.

The 3ft (0.9m)-high roadside monument marks the spot where labourer James Stares died in a violent robbery 238 years ago.

The stone's Historic England listing says the "plain stone pillar... commemorates an early conviction on purely circumstantial evidence".

Members of the Stares family regularly gather to retrace their ancestor's final steps from Hambledon to the monument site in Cams Hill.

David Stares, from Horndean, said "up to a third of the stone was broken off" and "I hope it can be repaired".

Mr Stares said the family had previously made an unsuccessful request to the county council to erect a sign to mark the stone, which is often submerged in undergrowth.

He said Hambledon Parish Council had collected broken pieces of the monument for safekeeping.

Murder stones were erected by local communities around the UK, mostly in the 18th and 19th Centuries, to commemorate violent deaths.

I've never heard of "murder stones" before. Is this something you've ever come across in your countryside perambulations mongers?
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2020, 03:28:14 PM
One for mongers - I saw this story:

I've never heard of "murder stones" before. Is this something you've ever come across in your countryside perambulations mongers?

Thanks, interesting piece, I was aware of them, but have never come across one.

One murder connection we and I guess much of the country does have are execution sites from the Saxon/medieval period.
If you're passing a notice able clump of, or a single tree on a ridge or prominent on the skyline, then it's likely people we killed and displayed there in the past! Often associated with parish boundaries.

I passed by one in the forest the evening before last, it's called The Naked Man, though now just a largely dead old tree.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Walked about 6.7 miles roundtrip to Greenwich park today (2nd excursion since lockdown). I shudder to think how I'll feel tomorrow. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on June 21, 2020, 11:51:44 AM
Walked about 6.7 miles roundtrip to Greenwich park today (2nd excursion since lockdown). I shudder to think how I'll feel tomorrow. -_-

I was about to post something similar  :lol:
Lockdown has not been kind.

mongers

Nice.

I'd really like to take a stroll around Greenwich, especially without the tourist hordes, but can't justify the Train and tube corona risk for an afternoon out and about.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 22, 2020, 12:35:42 PM
:hmm:

I want a car right now but then I also need a British license...which had been in the plans for 2020 -_-

Barrister

Week and a half ago my 10 year old went to his first hockey practice in 3 months.

The next day he complained about how much his legs hurt and he didn't know why. :lol:

Last week he commented about how much better his legs felt now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2020, 12:38:00 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 22, 2020, 12:35:42 PM
:hmm:

I want a car right now but then I also need a British license...which had been in the plans for 2020 -_-

Fortunately they just trust us official visitors with our US license.  :sleep:

We do have to take a test on UK road rules, but that's it.