News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your political bent

Started by merithyn, November 07, 2012, 06:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you define your political views?

Fiscal Conservative/Social Conservative
Fiscal Conservative/Social Liberal
Fiscal Liberal/Social Conservative
Fiscal Liberal/Social Liberal
Other - please explain

merithyn

A conversation at work had me wondering where the people of Languish fall on these things. If you don't identify with any of the above, please explain how you do identify yourself regarding fiscal and social policies.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Fiscally conservative. Usually.

Socially liberal. Mostly.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Fiscal center-left, civil libertarian
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 07, 2012, 06:11:59 PM
Fiscal center-left, civil libertarian

Yeah, I realized after I made the poll that I consider myself more of a fiscal moderate than conservative or liberal, probably leaning more left than right. I probably should have put that in there somehow.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

Hawkish on foreign affairs and defense, moderately conservative on social issues, extremely conservative to reactionary on economic except that I support free trade.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Fiscal Liberal - I'm for free trade and free markets and against protectionism and mercantilism.
Social Liberal - What you do in the privacy of your own home and who you choose to do with it is not my business.

I take my terminology from John Stuart Mill and Friedrich Hayek, not american B-Movie actors and revival charlatans.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tonitrus

I am still generally conservative/libertarian on fiscal issues, mostly libertarian on social issues.  I've also grown to think that health-care is one of those things that should become an essential government service/infrastructure (like roads, highways, etc).  I don't think we should a total government system like the UK, but more of the hybrid system that Canada has.  Though with Medicare/Medicaid, we have a hybrid system too, it's just ours is more half-assed than hybrid.

Doctors should still be able to run private clinics if they choose, and charge what they like...and while this means the rich will still get better health care, well, face it..the rich get better everything as it is. 

Queequeg

Fiscal moderate, social liberal.  I tend to vote straight Democrat, so effective fiscal liberal, social liberal.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Iormlund

Fiscal pragmatic, social liberal.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Fiscal Conservative/Social Liberal  like most Canadians not tainted by the NDP

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 07, 2012, 06:57:28 PM
Doctors should still be able to run private clinics if they choose, and charge what they like...and while this means the rich will still get better health care, well, face it..the rich get better everything as it is.
Just to say doctors can do this in the UK and we do have private health insurance.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

I'm in exile as a stolid social democrat since my local center-right party should be nuked from orbit just to make sure.  :mad:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.