News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your political bent

Started by merithyn, November 07, 2012, 06:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you define your political views?

Fiscal Conservative/Social Conservative
Fiscal Conservative/Social Liberal
Fiscal Liberal/Social Conservative
Fiscal Liberal/Social Liberal
Other - please explain

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2012, 11:54:18 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 07, 2012, 11:48:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2012, 11:36:50 PM
I am pro-violent revolution when the rights of the people are denied them by kings and tyrants.
....So I'll put you down as a Lib Dem.

That's one of the most insulting things I've ever seen posted here.

Might I suggest glasses with a strong prescription?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2012, 11:53:49 PM
Wigger at best.

I like the concept of controlled detonations in certain financial districts, not 3' spoilers on dropped Hyundai Tiburons.

garbon

Sounds like that would really get the economy going.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

It would certainly add some spice to getting in those pre-market open orders on time.

garbon

I'm glad instead that you just post furiously in your little suburb.

CountDeMoney

Montana cabins don't have FIOS.

Barrister

I consider myself to be... a conservative.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Lettow77

I find it interesting there is an even split on fiscal issues, but social conservatism is a tiny fringe. I am even more surprised that the combination of fiscal liberal/socially conservative is more common than just conservative/conservative, given how little either party has to offer fiscal liberal/social conservative folks.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Cecil

Quote from: Viking on November 07, 2012, 06:54:46 PM
Fiscal Liberal - I'm for free trade and free markets and against protectionism and mercantilism.
Social Liberal - What you do in the privacy of your own home and who you choose to do with it is not my business.

I take my terminology from John Stuart Mill and Friedrich Hayek, not american B-Movie actors and revival charlatans.

+1  :)

Tamas

After 80 years of Keynesiasm, what is "fiscally conservative"? When does the welfare state become the conservative option?

Tamas

Quote from: Cecil on November 08, 2012, 03:20:56 AM
Quote from: Viking on November 07, 2012, 06:54:46 PM
Fiscal Liberal - I'm for free trade and free markets and against protectionism and mercantilism.
Social Liberal - What you do in the privacy of your own home and who you choose to do with it is not my business.

I take my terminology from John Stuart Mill and Friedrich Hayek, not american B-Movie actors and revival charlatans.

+1  :)

yeah, this

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on November 08, 2012, 04:15:50 AM
After 80 years of Keynesiasm, what is "fiscally conservative"? When does the welfare state become the conservative option?

In the US? Not ever. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

OttoVonBismarck

Fiscally conservative, I should mention by the way you can be fiscally conservative without being economically conservative. Fiscal policy is only a part of economic policy. (I'm pretty conservative on most economic issues, though.)

Socially I'm disinterested mostly, so I voted other overall. I don't really care that much about abortion or gay marriage. But I wouldn't call myself socially liberal just because of that. I'm hard line on some social issues like crime for example. I don't really vote on social issues, for me it's more economy with a splash of foreign policy.

Viking

Quote from: merithyn on November 08, 2012, 09:35:19 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 08, 2012, 04:15:50 AM

In the US? Not ever. :P

Burkean Conservatism asserts that existing institutions are of value and should be supported until an alternative which is both clearly better and has overwhelming support in society is available. The very idea of conservatism says nothing about taxes or religion or whatever. Modern american self identified conservatives are reactionary radicals with regards to religion and radical opponents of taxation and the very idea of government. There is nothing remotely conservative about either position.

The opposite of Conservative is Radical, not Liberal.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on November 07, 2012, 06:02:25 PM
A conversation at work had me wondering where the people of Languish fall on these things. If you don't identify with any of the above, please explain how you do identify yourself regarding fiscal and social policies.
Sometimes, I feel like I'm alone in my corner.
Social liberal & fiscal conservative.

• I like democracy, so I can't be in the same corner as Neil.
  • I think submiting to a foreign non elected sovereign is retarded, so I'm either more Canadian than CC, or more American than most of my canadien compatriots
  • I have a lot of concerns about the proximity of religion and politics, so I'm not totally with BB who's more tolerant of this than me.
  • I don't think research and development should be left exclusively to the private sector, or even exclusively to the universities and I don't think the government should cut financing to Universities that don't do enough applied research instead of fundamental research.
  • I think the very rich people should pay a little ore taxes, due to the way certain incomes are taxed, to avoid double-taxation, it results in an heavy distortion when you reache they very top earners are taxed. 
  • I also believe that nearly everyone (above 18yo and able to work) should pay so form of tax, to avoid creating a class of "free riders" who constantly ask for more.
  • I think wellfare should be time limited. No more than 5 consecutive years.
  • I think with severe physical disabilities should receive more government funding to stay at home rather than force them into hospitals or long terme care institutions.
  • I think people with severe mental problems who may pose a threat to the general population should be put on closer watch once they are out of they psychiatric hospital.
  • I am agains conscription
  • I believe in a small central government to coordinate efforts from member states rather than a big, bloated and heavily centralized federal government.  That thought sends most Canadians into an anti-seperatist frenzy
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.